Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

New Viola Bow, Really New!

I thought you all would like to see the new Tete-beche viola bow I commissioned from Gilles Nehr.  It just came today and it is pretty great.  The frog and the tip are made of Titanium with 18k. Rose gold adjuster and hook.  The stick is Giraffe Thorn Acacia wood.  It feels just like a regular fine bow in your hand and it powers the viola extremely well.  Don't kill me if the pictures don't work!

DLB

E6350C7C-B437-4BB5-BEF3-6C9FFB506495_1_201_a.jpeg

The pictures are great.  Wow...um...wow. Definitely new. When I look at the frog my brain says hippo.  I think we need more background story on this one.

3 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

When I look at the frog my brain says hippo.

I was thinking of a sloth hanging fro a branch. 

Enjoy your bow, looks cool.

2 minutes ago, deans said:

I was thinking of a sloth hanging fro a branch. 

Enjoy your bow, looks cool.

The bow wood is South African, so I guess I was sticking to the continental theme.  I couldn't quite make any particular bird species work for the bow head (beak). :)

That's app...arently well engineered.  Congratulations on your new bow.  :)

Before I adjusted my glasses, I thought it was a cross between a golf club and a fishing reel, lol.

We need a sound clip of it now, compared to a standard, boring, run-of-the-mill, old-school bow. :)

22 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

What is a tete-beche? A name, concept, method, or something else?

According to the video that Dwight posted, it is Nehr's name for his concept.

Tete - referring to "head"

Beche - referring to "toe"...(but I think he meant to say "tail")...

Edited by Rue
Language confusion...

5 hours ago, Dwight Brown said:

I thought you all would like to see the new Tete-beche viola bow I commissioned from Gilles Nehr.  It just came today and it is pretty great.  The frog and the tip are made of Titanium with 18k. Rose gold adjuster and hook.  The stick is Giraffe Thorn Acacia wood.  It feels just like a regular fine bow in your hand and it powers the viola extremely well.  Don't kill me if the pictures don't work!

DLB

Congrats on this interesting bow, hope you enjoy it a lot. The timber is very interesting and more commonly known as camel thorn (Vachellia erioloba) - see http://pza.sanbi.org/vachellia-erioloba for more info. Hats off to the guy who worked this piece, it's rock hard stuff.

This is really neat! I've got to get my hands on one of these and try it out. For those still scratching their heads about the name, "tête-bêche" just means flipped around, head to toe, which doesn't really describe what Nehr is doing now, but made more sense with his earlier experiments when he flipped the ivory plate to the front of the bow. His traditional Tourte copies are exquisite bows.

Gilles Nehr is a genius - this design has been around for a while and has some real devotees.

But of course it’s a bit like a Vuillaume self-rehairing bow, and as we all know these attempts to rethink the bow will never catch on and should be discouraged :P

Not my cup-o-tea!

...but Mampara you sure that's kameeldoring?

Would have virtually no spring or bounce?

Nope, just speculating

But this is an incredibly hard wood often with 0% to 2% moisture

It makes the best BBQ coals on earth!;)

2 minutes ago, reg said:

Nope, just speculating

I see...

Given the reputation and skill of the maker, it seems quite ridiculous to speculate that they will have created a bow with no playing qualities.