Sign in to follow this  
Newfiddleguy

17th Century violin???

6 hours ago, Newfiddleguy said:

Thoughts on this fiddle . Seller thought it was late 1600’s to 1700’s

Yup, looks like it was completed around 1630-1700 on a payday Friday.  :ph34r::lol:

9 hours ago, Newfiddleguy said:

It’s USA?

5 hours ago, Newfiddleguy said:

I know it’s not a fine instrument..... I was just looking for some help on the age or approximate age. 
Thanks

Matt

That's what I'm willing to bet.  This is the type of fiddle that the upper hierarchy of fiddle making over in Europe can rightfully make fun of people here in the states for attempting such work.  It's the only chance they get though.  If the maker is or was European he'd fit in well with others here weather they be untrained do it your selfers or hill people, imo. 

Age - anywhere from within the last five years to possibly twenty years is my non professional guess.  The collar and graft work are a little puzzling.  Wonder if he had help while making or the work was done later.

A fiddle like this, with the appearance of an ugly duckling could very well have the tone in comparison of the beautiful swan.  That's where you'd think the maker or repair persons knew a little about following guide lines to thinning wood and set up along with the use of high quality violin strings.

I hear you fine Ben, o.k., I'll shut up.

Looks familiar, was it recently at auction? What was the sellers reasoning? I wouldnt rule anything out.

Spontaneously this reminds me of Öhberg, a violin maker who worked in Sweden. I think he was the guy who made those strange looking f holes.  Need to confirm this tomorrow in my books. 

11 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Spontaneously this reminds me of Öhberg, a violin maker who worked in Sweden. I think he was the guy who made those strange looking f holes.  Need to confirm this tomorrow in my books. 

Mr. Öhberg will be insulted