Sign in to follow this  
Sylabyss

Cremona Violin

I posted about this violin but got no response to the actual violin im re posting. The pics

I used a telescopic camera to look Inside there is no label but words carved into the wood

" A. S. Cremona Anno 1711 "

FullSizeR(3).jpg

FullSizeR(4).jpg

FullSizeR(5).jpg

FullSizeR(6).jpg

IMG_5729.jpg

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5729.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

IMG_5735.jpg

If you're hoping someone will say you've got a Stradivari from 1711, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. Antonio Stradivari did not carve his initials, city or date into any examples of his violins as far as anyone knows and your violin has almost nothing in common with an authentic Stradivari other than that it looks like a violin. (notice also that the inscription is lighter than the surrounding wood, suggesting the carving wasn't done at the same time the violin was made) That said, your photos are possibly making your violin look less interesting than it is. The first reaction to your photos most forum members probably had is "the usual junk" i.e. Saxon cottage industry low-grade violin. I see some interesting features, though, and would like to see better photos before drawing any conclusions. Straight-on well-lit shots of the front and back, from not too close so the outline isn't distorted, scroll side profile, better lit photos of the rib mitres...  

I really wonder what this is. It doesn't look Saxon to me at all. The rib Corner appearance with its rounded Features does not rule out BOB-construction, but it doesn't look typical. The edgework, again rather rounded and smoothed out, doesn't look like Saxon work to me. The purfling doesn't look like anything I've seen on later Saxon work. Non flamed, slab cut back plate Wood, without attempt to fake Flames, is also not typical at all. Is that actually maple or something else? Looks a bit like walnut. The neck and scroll also do not look like maple to me. The varnish Looks rather soft and like it may have been low in resin Content, unlike most Saxon varnishes which often are brittle. I do not think this is a Saxon violin. It doesn't attempt to Imitate italians, nor does it fit in saxon Tradition. I do not know what it is. Could we be Looking at something eastern european? Hungarian Maybe? just a guess...

This is definitely not a Markneukirchen/Schönbach made violin. Looks more like a sort of autodidactical maker roughly late 19th century. Interesting choice of wood, the back could be walnut as was suggested in the other thread, the belly made of one piece with a distinctive big knot in the upper bass wing.

Could be difficult to identify. I would imagine proposals from Scotland to central Italy.;)

Without better photos, we're still like blind men touching different parts of an elephant. I see things that remind me of a mystery viola I had that  some folks were calling a Nyggel, and I see other things that look like Piacenza, but I wouldn't want to draw any conclusions until I get a sense of what the outline looks like. These photos are too heavily distorted to have any decent idea.

These pictures of the scroll are the reason i got the violin (looks to me like an early Italian priest/clergy with a skullcap ). The violin definitely has been resized thats why i thought it might be an early violin. When i get home I will take better pictures with my camera instead of my phone. I appreciate your thoughts on this violin. I forgot to upload the pic of the purfling , it looked really nice to me.

FullSizeR(7).jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5728(1).jpg

9 hours ago, Blank face said:

This is definitely not a Markneukirchen/Schönbach made violin. Looks more like a sort of autodidactical maker roughly late 19th century. Interesting choice of wood, the back could be walnut as was suggested in the other thread, the belly made of one piece with a distinctive big knot in the upper bass wing.

Could be difficult to identify. I would imagine proposals from Scotland to central Italy.;)

I've been doing some research into this. It could be Arne Saknussemm?

http://www.erbzine.com/mag30/3037.html

22 hours ago, Sylabyss said:

IMG_5718.jpg

Agree that this looks some sort of funny, but more like a piece of late 19th/early 20th century  historicism. Especially the small diameter ebony pegs without any significant wear don't seem to be earlier.

Resize , i meant the scroll grafting. I apologize im not fluent in all the violin lingo . Although Ive learned a lot from reading your posts on these forums. Does someone know a good luthier in Nyc i could take the violin too ? I really like it and would like to have it cleaned. Not sure what can be done with all the wear to the varnish.