Sign in to follow this  
Ken_N

Odd jangle noise

I put strings on the 5 String finally.  The process takes me a long time.  I've done about 10 in 18 years!  Finally have it about right, and I hear a soft jangle from the tail piece when I pluck the g string.  That's a new one for me.

Any ideas?

Ken

3 minutes ago, Ken_N said:

No fine tuner.

Then try cramming some toothpicks between the tail adjuster, and the holes in the tailpiece. Slop there can be one source of rattling or buzzing.

But are you sure the noise is really coming from the tailpiece? Noises can be conducted from one place to another on an instruments pretty well.

It seems to have stopped.  The ball end of the string not seated? The TP I made has short slots. 4-5 mm. Didn't know the slots have to be so long; the strings wanted to fall out when loose. Wasn't planning to put the thin stop on, that was as long as I could do.

No chin rest yet. 

This afternoon the low C came in the mail.  I have one around the basement somewhere; I used it to be sure that the holes in the tailpiece were big enough for them.  I'll find it now.  

I put the string on and set it lower at the bridge. (I had a spare D string on before)  Then the rattle came back.   I put my ear right up to the tailpiece; it was not on the C, but on the G still.  Then it stopped again.  Odd.

Never tried Helicore strings.  I don't think that they sound that bad.  I hear the body more than I hear the strings, at least on the lower strings.   "They" say that they are bright.  I don't hear that at all.  Not like Zyex!   They have a nice, flexible feel to them.  The tension is supposed to be high.  I was worried about that, the viola isn't built like a battleship, and there is 25% more tension.  

But tuning it up to pitch, the projection is still 35 mm.  Yeah, the neck could have pulled up, and the belly could have sunk, but if they did, they did it equally.  It is still about 382 long.  I'm happy.  It sounds good, and I got the playability right; I think.  I've only done about 10 so what do I know? Especially since I don't play!

Maybe that's the last of the mystery rattle?  It isn't loud enough to be noticed, it sounds like a slinky.

I once had a rattle I couldn't identify and it turned out to be the little sleeve that comes on the E string, which I don't use but had left on.

I'd check for a loose fingerboard - push up gently on the bridge side of the fingerboard to see if it pops off easily.  If not, it won't be that.

I recently went through several rounds of "try and find the buzz" on my viola, and it turned out to be the nut needed some work, and the fingerboard needed dressing. Problem gone. 

I do make some high arched ones, but make the tail pieces for clearance.  Center mount chinrests don't fit.  This one is pretty low.  Still needs a.side mount.

But seems to be fine.  Maybe I need to glue it? Always forget that.