Sign in to follow this  
Sylabyss

Wood Type Cremonese violin

I appreciate your advice. I was just so excited when i found this inscription inside the violin. I mean i assumed it was probably fake .

I usually see labels inside never carved words in the wood. I bought a little snake camera to peek inside. it reads A. S. Cremona Anno 1711 .

FullSizeR(3).jpg

FullSizeR(4).jpg

Why do you think that it's 18th century Cremonese? There were a limited number of luthiers in Cremona in the 18th century, and I think that all of their existing instruments have probably been well cataloged. Let's see the rest of the instrument.

2 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

None, in my experience; usually the rays/flecks are light and clear, not dark--just the opposite of what you have there.

50 minutes ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

The dark stripes look like pores filled with dark stain to me.  

Those definitely look like rays to me, not stained pores.  Rays are clear(ish) bundles of fibers/cells with a different orientation than the main wood, and can look light or dark depending on the lighting.  One photograph can be misleading.

This is the  same bridge, with different light directions:

1245753807_Raylighting.jpg.47816be273a543752e094938073539d2.jpg

Not to contradict Michael, but I think a worn area on a back can look similar, when pores become filled with grunge over time.  This is a well known Strad, and shows some similarities.  

But one certainly can't assume that an old piece of maple is Cremonese, just because the pores have darkened.

image.png.a5e05dd213facc48dd62e9475667da2d.png

"Pores", or more specifically vessels that are cut at the surface, always run parallel to the longitudinal grain, and they are relatively large open pits or channels.  Rays are even larger, but composed of bundles of very fine tubes that run perpendicular (mostly) to the rest of the grain.  The ray tubes are so fine that I never see much get into them, much less dirt.

This is a well-known Strad (ex-Jackson) where you can see the dirt-filled vessels and the lighter rays that have not been dirtied.  The center joint is in the photo, so you know which way the grain is running, and there is no original varnish left in this photo.

1625333553_Raysanddirtypores.jpg.83571089d3e40c7f9676588b640b3b85.jpg

With only what we have from the OP's photos, and the direction of the dark lines versus the "flame" pattern, I'm thinkin' what we are seeing are darkened pores, rather than "rays".

20 minutes ago, Conor Russell said:

Looks like a bit of walnut  to me.

That's what I was thinking.  Looks more like walnut than maple. And those look like pores not rays. 

Another shot of Strad maple showing pores/vessels and medullary.  (Ignore the colour!  Bad camera settings on my part....)   I can possibly post more detailed end grain shots of maple that show the relationship between vessels, tracheids, medullary and grain lines if anyone would like to see that. 

Strad c.1696.JPG

I bet if somebody would post photographs of the entire instrument the discussion would be resolved. Right now I am slightly reminded of the blind men and the elephant.

Just another Strad... with a lot of things going on in one small area.  This photo is a section in the steepest part of the C bout arch of a 1-piece back.  The rays in the middle of the photo indicate that the wood was cut fairly far off-quarter.  On the left, the varnish is worn off and the pores/vessels are filled with dirt. On the right is colored varnish with random chinks filled with dirt.  Between the wood only and colored varnish zones is probably a clear ground, which fills the vessels and prevents them from filling with dirt.

907331076_Raysanddirtypores2.jpg.5d3ea07350f7038033dea9a37372de54.jpg