Sign in to follow this  
Melissia

Opinions on this violin

I picked this up about a year ago from Craigslist.

story was he bought several violins off his elderly neighbor since she was going thu health issues.

Supposedly this was her “baby”.

My main curiosity is the “button” at the neck under the fingerboard. 91D04F68-3B31-4083-8C23-1BEA0C3BB24C.thumb.jpeg.915afd522bb6e9b486fb9dba7a5b806f.jpeg

There is no label inside nor does is have corner blocks. Neck inside looks to be through.

The  bow that came with it looks to be stamped * G A PFRETZSCHNER * but a lot of lettering is worn down. 

05EA3A87-8E0B-46C6-809E-E5B4040985FD.jpeg

6B10EF69-BFDB-4F08-9965-EF9AF04CE340.jpeg

A02A5634-983C-44EC-8448-650783DF954D.jpeg

50D43C59-D6D2-4116-9DD1-87E3E488AF1B.jpeg

861DE4CE-76A3-41B5-8622-EB1BD7B9E359.jpeg

F724E82C-D52F-423E-BF5B-9E1FA28E4390.jpeg

A646B016-0AA2-4CB7-9B30-077072F22524.jpeg

CA2CF7D6-AE0A-4B8C-B1A5-166FCDAAB68F.jpeg

If you look back a few days into the Pegbox you'll find another Hopf that turned up this week. Unfortunately yours seems to have been stripped and revarnished with polyurethane. We've all done it... 

25 minutes ago, Jwillis said:

You may have gotten lucky on the bow 

I only paid 400 for the violin, bow and pro tec international case it was all in.

It sounds pretty good, but I am an amateur so don’t know what it really can do.

BFCEC7BC-11D4-4B3C-89EB-016A80176193.jpeg

2CA7C3E4-38CD-4C92-B263-5FB933D9D789.jpeg

0FD7E9EF-09DB-434D-8C2B-FBCF026A4C18.jpeg

GA Pfretzschner was a wholesaler firm selling different grades of bows bought in from different workshops (means didn’t anything than branding their name onto something) and mustn’t be confused with HR Pfretzschner.

Of course many dealers are relying on this name confusion.

The photos of the OP bow are too dark and out of focus to say anything in particular about it.

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

GA Pfretzschner was a wholesaler firm selling different grades of bows bought in from different workshops (means didn’t anything than branding their name onto something) and mustn’t be confused with HR Pfretzschner.

Of course many dealers are relying on this name confusion.

The photos of the OP bow are too dark and out of focus to say anything in particular about it.

Yes, and this looks to be student grade with nickel mounts. Only question remaining is if it is brazilwood, or pernambuco. My guess is brazilwood with a dark varnish over, but could be wrong.

13 hours ago, Melissia said:

...My main curiosity is the “button” at the neck under the fingerboard...

CA2CF7D6-AE0A-4B8C-B1A5-166FCDAAB68F.jpeg

We call this a pin.  It is a small wood dowel.  There is probably another one at the other end of the top under the tail piece.  Some violins have them on the back, too, and some have no pins at all.  When they are used, their purpose is to fix the locations of the top and the back on the rib structure.

A low grade late 19th century Hopf model violin from Saxony which has retained the original through-neck, worth a few hundred dollars.

GA Pfretzschner was also one of the wholesalers who had a HOPF stamp and applied it to some cheap student fiddles. Bow and violin could have had a life together :wub:

6 hours ago, matesic said:

Unfortunately yours seems to have been stripped and revarnished with polyurethane. We've all done it... 

If it was her 'baby' she probably even paid someone to ruin the varnish (and hence violin). Sigh.

I appreciate everyone’s input. I had no expectations when buying this and since I’m a beginner again ( played 20 yrs ago)  this violin will do just fine.

i don’t even think it is a “hopf” due to the “.” After the f.

Again thanks for everyone’s take on it.

Chin up.  Ignore that it may have been refinished.  For what you paid,  it is hardly a loss if you like the sound and can play it.   If you take lessons,  you will soon pay over $400 total for them.   Any loss from the revarnishing can be ignored.  It is not "ruined,"  it is your functional violin.   Enjoy it.

25 minutes ago, Johnmasters said:

Chin up.  Ignore that it may have been refinished.  For what you paid,  it is hardly a loss if you like the sound and can play it.   If you take lessons,  you will soon pay over $400 total for them.   Any loss from the revarnishing can be ignored.  It is not "ruined,"  it is your functional violin.   Enjoy it.

Yes, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. $400 for a functional outfit like this is a good price if you like the sound of the violin.

9 hours ago, Guido said:

Yes, sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. $400 for a functional outfit like this is a good price if you like the sound of the violin.

I can see no reason to say sorry, because from a cultural value point of view it is ruined (though this value won't be very high). If it's working in the actual state the OP doesn't need to care about this fact. To state this isn't harsh but realistic and honest.

It starts to matter if one had to decide if it's worth to invest a significant sum for repairs, set up etc. or such an investment should be better saved for an instrument in a more original state, what would be more rewarding.