Sign in to follow this  
Dominik Tomasek

Testore all spruce cello

Dear colleagues/Maestronetters

Although I know that this kind of topics usually does not have too many replies I am still willing to try it.

I am please seeking as many information as possible regarding all spruce (top + slab cut back) cello made by Testrore. It was mentioned several times here on the forum, mainly by Manfio. Photos are welcomed as well!

Thank you for whatever you can share!

Dominik

This may be no help, but an acquaintance has an old American church bass with spruce back and belly that I thought was rather unique.   I'm not sure what it would be good for, as it's not likely to work as a modern cello.  but the spruce back is rather interesting, quarter sawn if I recall correctly, and in good condition.  I have never seen that before or since.

9 hours ago, violinsRus said:

This may be no help, but an acquaintance has an old American church bass with spruce back and belly that I thought was rather unique.   I'm not sure what it would be good for, as it's not likely to work as a modern cello.  but the spruce back is rather interesting, quarter sawn if I recall correctly, and in good condition.  I have never seen that before or since.

violin Rus, thanks for the reply! I know there are church basses with spruce back and I am also well aware of some cheap factory made celli which also present a spruce back. Do you have any pictures of that instrument?

I find this story about Testore and his all spruce cello rather interesting thus I am seeking information regarding this particular instrument.