Sign in to follow this  
danw

Help identify a HOPF?

Hello,

I am new here, and am here looking for free help.  My wife and I have worked hard for a long time, and are finally building a new house.  As we are going through our parents stuff, we came across an old violin that was in my father-in-laws stuff.  He was always buying houses that were foreclosed etc, and ended up with some interesting stuff.  He has long since passed, and we need to get rid of most of his stuff to fit into our new house.  

We aren't really worried about how much this is worth as much as we'd like it to be appreciated by somebody who would enjoy it, if it has any real value.  Is this worth getting an appraisal?  Thank you.

I have more pictures if needed.  

20200113_082631.jpg

20200113_082739.jpg

20200113_082827.jpg

Saxon violin made in the 1800s. Very common. This looks to be in decent shape, looks like nice wood on the top. Not the most desirable instrument but some people like them. Probably would get a few hundred on EBAY, maybe a bit more if all is well the dimensions and condition.

If you local violin shop will buy this, I cannot answer, but I suspect not. Ebay would be a good place. Please, you should put a thick piece of Cloth between the tail piece and the belly, because the way it is now, the fine Tuners will Damage the varnish, whih is totally unnecessary.

As others have said, this is a typical "Hopf" model mass-produced violin without significant commercial value.

You should take pictures as described here and post them if you want to get some opinions about the condition of your violin. You should also use these types of pictures if you decide to auction it on eBay. Also, although the bow is an inexpensive commercial bow, take pictures of both ends as it may still be serviceable.

In regards to your local violin shop buying it, it depends on the price and condition. They likely already have many of these types of violins in their inventory, and may not want any more, plus it is going to require some work and cost to get into salable condition. 

Good luck!

I could be wrong but FWIW it looks like a viola to me - and the bow frog has the curved back of a viola bow as well. Not that this has any bearing on the value or the origin. 

On 1/14/2020 at 9:05 PM, Zeissica said:

I could be wrong but FWIW it looks like a viola to me - and the bow frog has the curved back of a viola bow as well. Not that this has any bearing on the value or the origin. 

My impression, too. The body proportions are more viola alike and the highest string seems to be an A.

Definitely more valuable than a violin, how much depends on the body length.

Looks like violin in size. But somebody could have set it up as a small viola. Kind of looks like a viola bur all of theses "hopfs"  are a bit weird in shape.

Looks like a usable example in decent enough shape

The photo isn't really clear. It looks as if the LOB is roughly from 9 inch till 24 inch, what would be 15 inch= 38 cm. That's a small viola siize with a relative short neck. Maybe the OP could measure exactly the body (back length without button) in metric millimeter?.

20 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

If you ask me the shoulders are too rounded for a hopf.

This isn't a "Hopf", but a late 19th Dutzendarbeit "Hopf model" with a dealer's stamp.

Hopf dynasty were about two dozen makers or more from the 17th century on with lots of different models, so it's a misconception to assume a "one for all" Hopf shoulder design. The exaggerated squarish form is more a feature of many Dutzendware late 19th century products, the OP is just one variation between many of these. FWIW.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:01 PM, Blank face said:

The photo isn't really clear. It looks as if the LOB is roughly from 9 inch till 24 inch, what would be 15 inch= 38 cm. That's a small viola siize with a relative short neck. Maybe the OP could measure exactly the body (back length without button) in metric millimeter?.

The measurement is 35.56 cm (14 inches).

On 1/26/2020 at 7:56 PM, danw said:

The measurement is 35.56 cm (14 inches).

Thanks, so it’s a regular violin size, and probably someone put a wrong string on it. Of course a viola would have been much more interesting, but nonetheless a good instrument for students or amateur players.