Sign in to follow this  
tango

Baroque bassbar shape

Hello

I am working on a modern violin but now I want to change the proyect making a baroque one.
I didn´t make the neck yet
I had just finished the bassbar (modern) but I didn´t glued the top to the box. So I  could shape the bassbar as baroque but I am not sure about the shape. 
Is there any concensus about a good bassbar of baroque violin for a new violin? Or must I cut off some mass to my bassbar and shorten a little (how much?)?
I was reading but the stuff is very different from maker to maker.
Thank for any advice
Regards 
Tango 

There's no real reason you can't use a "modern" bar" in it. No two bass bars are alike anyway, and there were certainly no standards in antiquity, in either placement scheme or dimensions. Just like the makers of the past did, do what you know to work best. 

14 hours ago, tango said:

Hello

I am working on a modern violin but now I want to change the proyect making a baroque one.
I didn´t make the neck yet
I had just finished the bassbar (modern) but I didn´t glued the top to the box. So I  could shape the bassbar as baroque but I am not sure about the shape. 
Is there any concensus about a good bassbar of baroque violin for a new violin? Or must I cut off some mass to my bassbar and shorten a little (how much?)?
I was reading but the stuff is very different from maker to maker.
Thank for any advice
Regards 
Tango 

You might enjoy John McLennan's thesis (attached).  

"A Baroque violin was initially made. It was then incrementally converted to a Romantic (modern) setup by replacing the short neck with a longer, more slender neck and adding a longer ebony fingerboard, a heavier bassbar and soundpost. This increased the total mass from 386 to 440 g. Several different Baroque and modern configurations, with baroque and modern style bows, were used for acoustical measurements and playing tests with professional violinists."

McLennanThesisComplete.pdf

Hi
I was reading the Hargrave´s article and some post of Ben Hebbert  interesting article. But I was some lost. I need to read McLennan Thesis.
Thinking about gut strings and a maple fingerboard I realise that bassbar must be reduced. But how?
Watching at old bassbar I see that are lower and I guess a little shorter. 
As I see, in Buenos Aires, "baroque´s musicians" don´t care about historical set up for there instruments as they use, in some cases, standart modern strings or modern instruments with baroque bridge and tailpiece.

Further, as there are no standar meassurements (ie: bassbar)  in antique violins, I will think and take desicion of my own, adapting to the more common use in my country.
I have in mind a Guadagnini sample and now see in thread the Mesias one; further others in Ben Hebbert thread. Don´t know why but I like the Mesias one.

Thanks to all for responses
Tango