Sign in to follow this  
jonfrohnen

French Expertise in Northern California

For all interested, there will be famous French experts at Ifshin Violins in El Cerrito, California on January 21 & 22.  A courtesy post for you all, for information on pricing/appointment please contact the email on the flyer.  This shop is close to both the Oakland, CA and San Francisco, CA airports for anyone wishing to travel.  

flyer_frenchies.thumb.jpg.cb88d9e20b0931697af615e561326f83.jpg

17 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

What is "a cabinet Jean-Francois Raffin"?

From what I’ve been told, Raffin is having a few other experts sign certificates now when a violin comes in to add weight. If multiple experts sign the same certificate, the idea is that fewer people will try to shoot it down. 

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

1 hour ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

From what I’ve been told, Raffin is having a few other experts sign certificates now when a violin comes in to add weight. If multiple experts sign the same certificate, the idea is that fewer people will try to shoot it down. 

And so, multiple authorship invades the violin world.  Next, perhaps, a (pricey) monthly journal collecting certs to make them more accessible, and you'll all have to subscribe to stay current.   :ph34r:  :lol:

Seriously, multiply endorsing certs doesn't sound like a bad idea.  :)

1 hour ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

Oh. I thought "a cabinet Jean-Francois Raffin" might be 3D laser hologram of his image, projected inside a box.

10 hours ago, David Burgess said:

No, no, you misunderstand. It's not "cab-i-net." It's "cab-i-nay," like a fine Cab-i-nay Sauvignon. Does that help to clarify the situation? I really expected more from you than that, David B.

You guys probably looked it up already, but "cablnet" in this context is just a fancy french word for an office or consortium of experts, for instance used for the equivalent of  "lawfirm:" "cabinet d'avocats." If you don't know the Paris gossip, a few years ago, JF Raffin was getting ready to hand his shop ("atelier") to his daughter (fille) Sandrine who had spent years working to become a quality bowmaker (archetier) and develop her expertise (expertise). I think many people believed he was going to do like the late (regretté) Bernard Millant and take a "semi-retirement," coming into the shop from time to time to examine bows and write certificates, but instead he opened a new business devoted to certifying bows, but not doing repairs or direct sales, basically depriving his daughter of the biggest profit maker from his previous activity. (pas de commentaire...)

Also, part of the rationale behind partnering with other bowmakers is the business of sowing up as many "Expert près  la cour..." titles as possible, because one can't accumulate these individually, and having one puts one in the driver's seat evaluating estate sales and other possible sources for bows and instruments. 

From their website, makes sense to me:

Independence and excellence are the hallmarks of the Cabinet d’expertise Jean François Raffin’s success and the reason why our certificates are Internationally accepted and recognized as reference .

We do not retail bows as we believe that independent expertise should be separated from the trade activity.

Our authentication process is based on a cross-way study by our three experts, and the certification pends consensus of the three expertise. This binding and rigorous method guarantee the excellence and the independence our certificates.

I think it’s a testament to Millant’s authority as an expert that it’s so difficult to fill his position. There certainly are experts in Paris now, but no one has become dominant yet. The cabinet setup helps protect several people at once. Perhaps one will emerge as the leader in the coming years. 

I've found both a universally recommended oral surgeon, and a highly recommended dentist within three miles of my home.

Would it be better if I went to France to replace my missing front tooth?

33 minutes ago, jonfrohnen said:

Sounds like you're missing more than just a few teeth ;-) 

And you are sounding like a paid salesman, with identical posts both here and on Violinist.com.

Yes, I am missing a front tooth. Wanna have a go at it, and see who ends up with fewer teeth? :lol:

1 hour ago, jonfrohnen said:

Come on, one more, you're almost to 14300 posts! sss

Yes, I have a bit of a track record. Way more than you. If you have any issues with any of my 15 trillion posts (or did I misplace a decimal point somewhere :lol:)  I'll be more than happy to "duke it out" with someone who has not managed to rise above the level of a salesgeek. :)

But I'll try to understand if it was the only job you could find, and I'll understand even more if it puts you in a position to be around, and learn high-level woodworking.

3 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I've found both a universally recommended oral surgeon, and a highly recommended dentist within three miles of my home.

Would it be better if I went to France to replace my missing front tooth?

Hmmm....

Maybe it’s better if you want some Mirecourt work?

10 minutes ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

Hmmm....

Maybe it’s better if you want some Mirecourt work?

I would expect a Mirecourt replacement tooth to be quite good, but of course, nothing close to a tooth I could get in Cremona. ;)

43 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I would expect a Mirecourt replacement tooth to be quite good, but of course, nothing close to a tooth I could get in Cremona. ;)

Be careful, though. I hear a lot of those Cremona teeth were really made by the Vollers. 

37 minutes ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

Be careful, though. I hear a lot of those Cremona teeth were really made by the Vollers. 

A Voller tooth might be OK, but since I like to cross-shop before making a decision, how much would a genuine Stradivari tooth set me back?

1 hour ago, violguy said:

How many drawers?

I can get by with about three sets of drawers between wash cycles, the wash cycle usually occurring around April each year, when the ice turns back into water. :lol::ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Michael Appleman said:

3 pairs for the experts...

An expert should always wear a clean set of drawers in case they get caught with their pants down.

Sorry Yannick, schoolboy humour, I can't resist it ...