Sign in to follow this  
vathek

Vintage plexiglass violin anyone know anything?

Picked this up for practically nothing as a curiosity. It's a full sized instrument and nicely modeled. The end of the scroll is broken off and it is signed by what looks like B. L. New. 76.

It's heavy and I tried to tune the unknown brand strings up but the pegs wouldn't hold well but it did sound like a violin although pretty soft. Cool tailpiece tho. Just wonder if anyone has seen one of these before.

plexi1.JPG

plexi2.JPG

plexi3.JPG

It is a shame that the scroll broke off. The construction without Corner blocks Points to Markneukirchen, the scroll could have given us a confirmation of that suspicion. The top block must be a laer Addition, it probably had a through neck, originally. 

2 hours ago, baroquecello said:

It is a shame that the scroll broke off. The construction without Corner blocks Points to Markneukirchen, the scroll could have given us a confirmation of that suspicion. The top block must be a laer Addition, it probably had a through neck, originally. 

Shame on you!  :lol:

3 hours ago, vathek said:

Picked this up for practically nothing as a curiosity. It's a full sized instrument and nicely modeled. The end of the scroll is broken off and it is signed by what looks like B. L. New. 76.

It's heavy and I tried to tune the unknown brand strings up but the pegs wouldn't hold well but it did sound like a violin although pretty soft. Cool tailpiece tho. Just wonder if anyone has seen one of these before.

plexi1.JPG

plexi2.JPG

plexi3.JPG

I wonder who made it and why?  The Visible Violin"?  :)

1 hour ago, uncle duke said:

Mario Maccaferri?

No. I've seen quite a few of those.

Are you sure that it isn't something like Lucite? I see a Lucite chinrest and a tailpiece that are cool and functional.

7 hours ago, vathek said:

It's heavy and I tried to tune the unknown brand strings up but the pegs wouldn't hold well but it did sound like a violin although pretty soft.

plexi1.JPG

No bassbar? How's the bridge & soundpost meant to do their job?

Is the back thicker than the top? :)

Both top and back . A bassbar  would be a nice visual but I can't imagine that it would actually serve any purpose. And of course, k no purfling either

16 minutes ago, vathek said:

I may be wrong but I always understood lucite and plexiglass different brand names for basically the same material.

That is my understanding as well.  Do you see any evidence that there was a bass bar on the inside at sometime?  Also, do you have the bridge?

No bridge, I would have thought they would have used a real wooden bridge but I've never seen one of these before, so.... There is no evidence (glue trail or marks of any kind)  to suggest there was a bassbar.

52 minutes ago, vathek said:

No bridge, I would have thought they would have used a real wooden bridge but I've never seen one of these before, so.... There is no evidence (glue trail or marks of any kind)  to suggest there was a bassbar.

Thank you.

I could be wrong, but it appears that some goonish cultural heretic has entirely stripped the varnish from this historic violin rendering it less than worthless (it costs you time and a little energy to throw it out). I recommend dropping it where you stand, leaving it on the floor, and never considering it again. This is how to cut your losses immediately.

Jerry, what do you remember of the instrument in the picture as it's about the same time period as the date in the violin I have?

11 minutes ago, vathek said:

Jerry, what do you remember of the instrument in the picture as it's about the same time period as the date in the violin I have?

I made the instrument starting in 1977.  My violin did have a bass bar however, and the scroll was plexiglass sheet that was rolled into a scroll.  

3 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Young Jerry!  :)  I thought of you when this thread appeared...

He's always been some mysterious clusterfuck between a super-talented guy, and a charmer. His one and only wife is well north of semi-hot. ;)

Wish I could have nailed it the first time.