Sign in to follow this  
keyboardclass

What kind of neck setting?

2 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

Well, as it's most likely only worth it's weight in kindling, I slapped some yellow glue on and stuck the neck back on.   24hrs after being strung up it's still holding :)

Would you please give us a report in  6 months? My experiment with yellow glue showed that it creeps.

54 minutes ago, violins88 said:

Would you please give us a report in  6 months? My experiment with yellow glue showed that it creeps.

Might not even be that long - if titebond original was used full strength won't be achieved for four days minimum.  So he's already strung it up?  I wouldn't of. 

1 hour ago, violins88 said:

I would request that too. Banging something out the door which has done a good job of surviving for six months is hugely different from producing something which survives for 10 to 300 years

19 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

Not sure I'm going to be around to report in 300 years but will do my best.

My guess is that you will start to notice "yellow glue" creep in less than ten years.

In contrast, hot hide glue has a very long history of success.

I have experimented extensively with both, as have many others. You are free to ignore all that if you wish. I am not your Mama. :P

But again, surely if Stradivari didn't reply solely on hide glue for the neck no point me trying it.  What it really requires is shim out and a proper neck graft but that's far more than it's commercial value. 

34 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

But again, surely if Stradivari didn't reply solely on hide glue for the neck no point me trying it.

Stradivari did not mortise his necks. It was a butt joint.
But I'll bet most modern restorers could make a good enough butt joint, that there would be no need to reinforce it with nails.

4 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Stradivari did not mortise his necks. It was a butt joint.
But I'll bet most modern restores could make a good enough butt joint, that there would be no need to reinforce it with nails.

@Conor Russell has attested a violin (Irish, if I recall correctly?) that had an original neck that was butt jointed and glued only, which lasted a couple hundred years before the neck came off. So the fit must have been excellent! I make sure to fit my Baroque necks precisely, but still use a screw for good measure. 

Roger Hargrave has commented here that he once saw an Andrea Guarneri with an original neck and that the joint between the neck root and the rib was not particularly careful. In this case, I'm sure the nails were useful. 

40 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

I suppose a really long drill bit and screw driver is the only cheap option ( one I still have I suppose).

I do happen to have a personal preference for redundancy and overkill, versus failure. ;)

51 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I do happen to have a personal preference for redundancy and overkill, versus failure. ;)

Especially important when bungee jumping....

6 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

I slapped some yellow glue on and stuck the neck back on.

It may have been better to have removed the old glue first, adjusted the fit & then carefully applied some new glue, and a cramp or two.

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

It may have been better to have removed the old glue first, adjusted the fit & then carefully applied some new glue, and a cramp or two.

Quite, to put it another way.

4 hours ago, JacksonMaberry said:

@Conor Russell has attested a violin (Irish, if I recall correctly?) that had an original neck that was butt jointed and glued only, which lasted a couple hundred years before the neck came off. So the fit must have been excellent! I make sure to fit my Baroque necks precisely, but still use a screw for good measure. 

Roger Hargrave has commented here that he once saw an Andrea Guarneri with an original neck and that the joint between the neck root and the rib was not particularly careful. In this case, I'm sure the nails were useful. 

I’m sure Jacob has spoken about Viennese violins from the late 18th century which are still going strong with only a glued butt joint (and of course a button).

21 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I’m sure Jacob has spoken about Viennese violins from the late 18th century which are still going strong with only a glued butt joint (and of course a button).

I had forgotten that, thanks Martin!