Help with the origin of this old German violin

Hello friends:

A friend of my mom wanted to sell me an old German violin. It has a label inside which says: copy of  Giovan Paolo Maggini made in Germany

From the information on the Internet, I assume that it is a German factory violin of the 20th centrury. It has been repaired several times and it has 4 scrolls and a nice tone. Yes I really like that tone. 

On its back there's a pattern, I'm wondering if it means the brand of the factory or something else. I think the pictures may help.

My mom's friend tell me it should cost 4500 dolars. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks,

Monica

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

12 hours ago, deans said:

I agree with George. Its a nicer example, but these arent uncommon. And condition hurts this grade of instrument more than others.

Thanks. The condition is not good but the tone is nice. The man who owns that violin is dedicated to find old violins hurt or distroyed and asks a violin maker to repair them...

11 hours ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

Take it to a good violin shop near you and ask for a verbal opinion if its value. Most shops will do this free of charge and you’ll get a realistic idea if its market value. Having a luthier look at it in person will make it possible to get an opinion that takes condition into account properly. 

Thanks, I'll do that this weekend.

10 hours ago, Jeff White said:

$4500 is WAY too much for a Markie like this.  Take it to a good shop for evaluation.  You might post where you live if you want advice in finding someone.

Thank you for your help! So we can confirm that it is a Markie? Because the dealer told me it is a handmade and not a factory o workshop one. 

I do know some good shops and I think I do need to have a evaluation.

11 hours ago, Monica violin_lover said:

Thank you for your help! So we can confirm that it is a Markie? Because the dealer told me it is a handmade and not a factory o workshop one. 

I do know some good shops and I think I do need to have a evaluation.

Violins made in Markneukirchen weren’t made in a factory or workshop, I'm not sure many people would consider them more desirable as a result.

13 hours ago, Monica violin_lover said:

but the tone is nice.

These usually have a nice tone, and are often a prize possession. But that doesnt necessarily mean they are valuable. Whether or not these are "handmade" or "factory" depends on your definition and where you stand in the violin making world. Either way this instrument was  produced in the Saxon/Czech musical instrument industry and probably sold through Sears and Roebuck or a similar mail order.

13 hours ago, Monica violin_lover said:

Thanks. The condition is not good but the tone is nice. The man who owns that violin is dedicated to find old violins hurt or distroyed and asks a violin maker to repair them...

Honestly, dealers in this category seem to always price their violins high, don't know why.  Little bit of knowledge.......??  A markie of this grade, with no importers label (or other distributor's label) that a customer can "hang their hat on" goes at a MAX in my shop of the high $teens.  That is usually after extensive set up work, throwing out the 9 examples previously vying for this position, and a good clean example.  Check out the violins at the dealer you visit.  Most people think the dealer is expensive.  It's a lot more expensive to pay a private person the dealer price, but not get the "vetting" of the condition, ID and proper market price.   BTW, as 313 and Deans have stated, that violin IS handmade (the worst ones are too) and not made in a factory.  That all has nothing to do with the proper value.

8 hours ago, Jeff White said:

Honestly, dealers in this category seem to always price their violins high, don't know why.  Little bit of knowledge.......??  A markie of this grade, with no importers label (or other distributor's label) that a customer can "hang their hat on" goes at a MAX in my shop of the high $teens.  That is usually after extensive set up work, throwing out the 9 examples previously vying for this position, and a good clean example.  Check out the violins at the dealer you visit.  Most people think the dealer is expensive.  It's a lot more expensive to pay a private person the dealer price, but not get the "vetting" of the condition, ID and proper market price.   BTW, as 313 and Deans have stated, that violin IS handmade (the worst ones are too) and not made in a factory.  That all has nothing to do with the proper value.

Got it! Thank you so much!

Honestly you have to question the loyalty that this friend has to your mother. What kind of person would try to rip off their friend's kid like this? It's unacceptable for this friend to ask this price of you without getting a proper appraisal. Cut ties with this individual, who knows what other shady business they have planned for you or your mother. Massive red flag of you ask me.

On 1/11/2020 at 1:54 AM, BassClef said:

Honestly you have to question the loyalty that this friend has to your mother. What kind of person would try to rip off their friend's kid like this? It's unacceptable for this friend to ask this price of you without getting a proper appraisal. Cut ties with this individual, who knows what other shady business they have planned for you or your mother. Massive red flag of you ask me.

Yes he is a businessman and we didn't buy that violin finally. Just don't understand why he did so to us...