Sign in to follow this  
Rue

I Hate Shopping...>:(

I'm sure you're right!  And I'm also sure they'd give me the name of our big national music store...that didn't have any in stock when I went looking a couple of weeks ago...:P

I've been to San Francisco!  It's beautiful, but very different as far as shopping, shipping and retail goes...from my neck of the woods...<_<

1 hour ago, Rue said:

I've been to San Francisco!  It's beautiful, but very different as far as shopping, shipping and retail goes

You'd be surprised. 

6 hours ago, Rue said:

I don't see why Thomastik (or any of them) can't offer a direct sales.  How hard can it be in this day and age?  I'm sure someone could use a job stuffing envelopes.  I'd also love to see a user loyalty bonus.  Buy 10 sets of strings, and get 30% off your 11th set, or some such discount.

Thomastik?  Haben Sie das gehört? ^_^

Just imagine how much the price of strings would go up if the manufacturer had to add a department and raise the funds to manage it and you’ll have an answer to the question.

A lot of manufacturers prefer to be solely manufacturers so they can simply focus on filling orders. Spending time on the phone trying to make sales eats into productivity. And the demand from shops hasn’t declined at all. If anything, there are more shops around than ever before, so the factories have no incentive to hamstring themselves.

As a result of the internet pricing wars and the rampant fakes, string manufacturers are beginning to take steps to combat the infighting by making string brands that are only available to businesses. I wouldn’t be surprised if that trend were to grow in the coming years. 

A manufacturer with a distribution network would not likely sell direct at lower than MSRP pricing, which is often higher than most retail... hence they almost never sell direct. Otherwise if they undercut their distributors, why would distributors carry their product... they'll just find another brand that respects their distribution role.

And Rue... If you buy from the US, be sure it is shipped via the postal system... I have ordered lots of tools, bows, etc and never been charged duty or customs. If it is shipped via Purolator or UPS,  you will pay a min. of about $50 for customs clearance in addition to the duty. Seems to me the postal system has bigger fish to fry and don't bother with charging on the smaller orders.

I agree with the many good sentiments about Lemuel... He is one of my favorite suppliers with nothing but the best of quality and don't hesitate to talk to him, he will look after your needs.   https://www.violins.ca

BTW... I do carry strings for my regulars, but the most expensive ones are Dominants and Violinos. I use these on repair jobs, so they do move fairly regularly.

Okay then, let them sell at the MSRP - if I want to pay more, my choice, and I'm still assured of availability and the real thing.

Update: Restrung my violin today. New PIs sound so good! Happy happy!!! :wub:

I use my luthier to get strings and have him put them on. 

He's a thirty something maker, one man operation and I like the idea of supporting his business. 

So I do.