Sign in to follow this  
Glock

Slicing the Bridge

Greetings.  I am new here and I fiddle with the violin.  I am a self taught fiddler.  Not real good at it but enough to enjoy playing the violin.   So who knows, and will share information about how critical it is to trim ,and fit the bridge to achieve the maximum tone, and volume of the violin?  I have noted that trimming the bridge is important regarding the sound production, so I am hoping someone can explain how this is done and why it is important, and where is the best information in performing this task.  I have always just bought a bridge and put it onto the instrument without trimming and fitting the bridge, and always frustrated about the sound.  As a self taught fiddler I have performed various tasks on the instrument, but this is new to me.

Glock, 

welcome to maestronet.

If you go to any subject such as bridges or bridge cutting followed by site:maestronet.com you will get to old discussions of the subject. I am sure most of your questions about this have already been discussed at length.

5 hours ago, Glock said:

I fiddle with the violin.  I am a self taught fiddler.

Me too.  I fiddle with them a lot.  Welcome to MN.  I agree with what Nathan said, here's some links to start, the first is one of the best "how-to" pages, and the second one is a set-up Google site search for "bridge cutting" at Maestronet.  :)

https://trianglestrings.com/carving-a-violin-bridge/

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bridge+cutting+site%3Amaestronet.com

On 1/2/2020 at 10:26 PM, nathan slobodkin said:

Glock, 

welcome to maestronet.

If you go to any subject such as bridges or bridge cutting followed by site:maestronet.com you will get to old discussions of the subject. I am sure most of your questions about this have already been discussed at length.

Thanks.  I will.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:46 PM, Violadamore said:

Me too.  I fiddle with them a lot.  Welcome to MN.  I agree with what Nathan said, here's some links to start, the first is one of the best "how-to" pages, and the second one is a set-up Google site search for "bridge cutting" at Maestronet.  :)

https://trianglestrings.com/carving-a-violin-bridge/

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bridge+cutting+site%3Amaestronet.com

Thanks for the information.  Well appreciated.

Fitting bridges, including the necessary trimming to optimize mass, is something that luthiers learn to do and perfect with a great deal of experience. Luthiers may well fit as many bridges in a week as some violin makers fit in a year.

3 minutes ago, Rue said:

There is a difference between a luthier and a violin maker?

I imagine there is a difference.  I was quoted two different prices for a bridge set up.  $145 and $169.  I have chosen to attempt to trim a bridge myself.  I have watched a number of videos now and read some.  I have a few spare bridges which I can tinker with (practice on) and try out.  I am guessing I can purchase a few necessary tools and pattern guides which will be far less than the prices I have been quoted.  Besides, I am not a professional concert player, just a back woods fiddler.  I played for so long just loading any ol bridge onto the violin and played, but have never believed the violin was giving me what it could.  If I am lucky I will produce a bridge trim that will make me happy.

Victor.  See my post to Rue which was my reply to you.  I will eventually learn how to use this site in time.

54 minutes ago, Rue said:

There is a difference between a luthier and a violin maker?

coffeescreen.gif.4ced9e265d995a09e91a6a0ed63d7d41.gif   rotfl.gif.268a131c1db3a4831bcbf5b2c333c20f.gif  Wow, could that ever start a discussion!

Ummmm.....depends on the context.   "Luthier" is a broader term, also includes people who fiddle with other stringed instruments such as guitars (and lutes, of course), and folks who only do setups and repairs.  The business gets confusing because most of the professional luthiers here are graduates of violin making schools, and many of the violin makers also own walk-in shops, and/or have worked in them.

I believe what Andrew means by "violin maker" is a luthier who only makes new fiddles and doesn't own or work in a shop as well. :)

I feel obligated to keep eruditing myself. :mellow:

[I've been wanting to use 'erudite' in a sentence all week! Woohoo!]