Sign in to follow this  
Glock

Old Instruments

First, I am new here and my Violin experiance is really limited thus am attempting to learn.  Now.  I have an old Violin and having surveyed the section of current auction prices out of the, Price History section. I discovered a Violin crafted by the same maker as I possess.  I was in utter shock to see the final price  received.  I am wondering if anyone can validate the authenticity of prices.  I am guessing the one auctioned was in pristine condition while mine has a few chips of wood missing from the edges and one longitudinal crack which appears to be more a cosmetic defect  and has not affected the playability of the instrument.

Now.  Be aware that I am not interested in selling mine.  I like it.  I like it alot.  I might be interested if I could get 10 times the latest auction price.  I am just trying to understand if the craftsman who made  the one I own and the one auctioned really has a significant value.  I have had it appraised before and told it was not of much value at all.  The craftsman is a German maker Jocabus Steiner.  Can anyone shed some light on this craftsman and the general value of his Violins.  I would appreciate any conversation and information available.  Please help.

Edited by Glock

I'm guessing that over 95% of labels in violins have nothing to do with who made the violin or when or where it was made.

What makes you think your violin could be made by Stainer?

On 1/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, Glock said:

First, I am new here and my Violin experiance is really limited thus am attempting to learn.  Now.  I have an old Violin and having surveyed the section of current auction prices out of the, Price History section. I discovered a Violin crafted by the same maker as I possess.  I was in utter shock to see the final price  received.  I am wondering if anyone can validate the authenticity of prices.  I am guessing the one auctioned was in pristine condition while mine has a few chips of wood missing from the edges and one longitudinal crack which appears to be more a cosmetic defect  and has not affected the playability of the instrument.

Now.  Be aware that I am not interested in selling mine.  I like it.  I like it alot.  I might be interested if I could get 10 times the latest auction price.  I am just trying to understand if the craftsman who made  the one I own and the one auctioned really has a significant value.  I have had it appraised before and told it was not of much value at all.  The craftsman is a German maker Jocabus Steiner.  Can anyone shed some light on this craftsman and the general value of his Violins.  I would appreciate any conversation and information available.  Please help.

Share pictures.Also, you should compare your own violin with the one that sold for so much money.

Welcome to the forum, Glock. If you are inexperienced with old violins as you say, please allow me to give you a quick recap of basic info that might make it easier to exchange here.

Yes, Jacob Stainer was one of the greatest violinmakers in history, and for a long while his violins were some of the most sought after  and expensive violins on the market, even if they've lagged in popularity and value compared to Stradivaris, Guarneris and other old Italian violins for the last couple of centuries. There aren't that many authentic Stainer violins left in the world (though I'm not aware of an "official" count) but somewhere between 50 and 150 seems reasonable. 

There are however tens if not hundreds of thousands of violins with fake Stainer (or "Steiner") labels and brands. Violinmaking is a strange business as it has been traditional and "accepted" to stick fake labels in instruments from almost the beginning (there's a documented case of a violinist demanding redress for a fake label in the 1690's), and it's not an exageration to suggest that 99.99% of violins with a Stainer (or Stradivari, Guarneri, Amati...) label are not authentic. Some might be high quality copies, but most are probably just rather simple, cheaply made violins that may have nothing in common with an original other than that they have four strings. Please keep in mind that an authentic Stainer violin has always been a rare and valuable object, and the chances of one turning up in an attic, junk shop or yard sale are really quite small.

That said, your violin could be quite nice, or it could be a common trade fiddle that sounds good and gives you pleasure. In any case, the label is not the place to start when trying to figure out what it is. You mention that you had it appraised. Do you have reason to doubt the competence or the honesty of the person who appraised it?

There was recently a Stainer viola discovered. However it was not the usual situation. It was "the property of a gentleman" and I think was attributed to a Kloz member, which itself would have been fairly valuable. But still, it brings the chances up from zero to maybe 0.0001%

On 1/1/2020 at 7:44 PM, Glock said:

Please read that thread carefully, then provide us with suitable photos to evaluate your violin.  BTW, how does it sound?  :)

Got it.  Ergo the odds mine is a fake is roughly 99.5%.  Where I procured the instrument from is a surrity that it is  a knock-off.  Thanks for your patients and thanks for the responses.  I do appreciate it.

18 hours ago, deans said:

There was recently a Stainer viola discovered. However it was not the usual situation. It was "the property of a gentleman" and I think was attributed to a Kloz member, which itself would have been fairly valuable. But still, it brings the chances up from zero to maybe 0.0001%

The one which sold for so much can be found in the price history here on this site.

On 1/3/2020 at 11:51 AM, deans said:

I would very much like to read that story. Do you have a link to an article somewhere?I would very much like to read that story. Do you have a link to an article somewhere?