Sign in to follow this  
Nick Allen

F hole edge rounding.

Nick, I think you might be talking about this.  It’s something you see in Cremonese, as well as some other old instruments.  If you use sharkskin during finishing it’ll round the edges for you.  If you’d rather not mess with that, you can use either horsetail reed or micromesh to soften the edges. 74767E33-2C21-49F6-814D-FD7A303C11DB.jpeg.159c0a9231df1e751579faaf4ca05255.jpeg

4 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Nick, I think you might be talking about this.  It’s something you see in Cremonese, as well as some other old instruments.  If you use sharkskin during finishing it’ll round the edges for you.  If you’d rather not mess with that, you can use either horsetail reed or micromesh to soften the edges. 74767E33-2C21-49F6-814D-FD7A303C11DB.jpeg.159c0a9231df1e751579faaf4ca05255.jpeg

Nick

I use processed horsetail over the entire surface as well as a brush made from the end of a bow hair hank.  The Equisetum is a natural product that is historically accurate.  Not only does it polish the surface of the wood, it burnishes which gives a nice visual effect but serves the purpose of softening the sharp edges where varnish easily chips off.

I find that the "Tail of the Horse" brush further burnishes the surface and increases the polished effect I am looking for as well as cleaning the nooks and crannies and opening the pores of the wood prior to varnishing.

I agree with you that it is a nice look.  Subtle.  But it adds to the whole overall appearance.

Good luck!

Dorian