Sign in to follow this  
Brad Dorsey

Fitting Bass Bar With Graphite

On 12/31/2019 at 11:52 AM, Michael Darnton said:

I like David's idea of day-glow chalk and UV. Maybe we should commission a special batch of ochre-colored (wood color)  chalk with something that would glow in UV in it. I'd go in on a buy like that.

When I was experimenting with this at the Weisshaar shop, it was because I happened to run across the orange-fluorescing white chalk at a local art supply store. Searching on the internet for 1/2 hour now, it doesn't seem to be so readily available any more, but I did run across this:

https://carmelindustries.com/carmel-fluorescent-disappearing-tailor-chalk/

Maybe ordinary white chalk (calcium carbonate based) fluoresces under black light too? I don't recall ever trying that, but some sources claim that it does.

https://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/science/fluorescent-mineral-colors.htm

I bought some of this, but have yet to find the right firmness of brush bristle with which to remove chalk from the stick.  The dust has been too coarse with the brushes I have tried to date.  Still, the stuff comes highly recommended in restoration circles.  

https://www.eternityarts.com/chalk-drawing-supplies/fluorescent-chalk/

45 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Maybe ordinary white chalk (calcium carbonate based) fluoresces under black light too? I don't recall ever trying that, but some sources claim that it does.

Under my cheapo uv-led (395 nm) it does.

I have been using the Eternity Arts white (non-fluorescent) chalk, and I just checked... it does NOT fluoresce under UV.  It's a bit coarse, but soft, and breaks down to powder (using a finger to apply).  Good enough.

I also have some powdered fluorescent chalk... but have been too lazy to get a UV lamp over to where I do the bar fitting.  It's super-cheap, and I really should try it seriously...  https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8-oz-Chalk-in-Orange-DWHT47076/204352695

56 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

I have been using the Eternity Arts white (non-fluorescent) chalk, and I just checked... it does NOT fluoresce under UV.  It's a bit coarse, but soft, and breaks down to powder (using a finger to apply).  Good enough.

I also have some powdered fluorescent chalk... but have been too lazy to get a UV lamp over to where I do the bar fitting.  It's super-cheap, and I really should try it seriously...  https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8-oz-Chalk-in-Orange-DWHT47076/204352695

Never would have considered reel chalk for this. Might have to pop on down to the Deopt real quick.

For years I've been using colored sidewalk chalk that I borrowed from my youngest daughter (she's 18 now).  The cobalt blue or brown colors seem to work well, and are easily removed with a few wipes of a damp cloth.

15 hours ago, Don Noon said:

Don, I'm not seeing in the description that this fluoresces under UV. "Fluorescent" is sometimes also used as a description of a color.

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Don, I'm not seeing in the description that this fluoresces under UV. "Fluorescent" is sometimes also used as a description of a color.

I tested it in my UV box, and it definitely is fluorescent.

2 hours ago, Don Noon said:

I tested it in my UV box, and it definitely is fluorescent.

But isn't it also orange under daylight?

Maybe I worry too much about the concept of a restorer not leaving obvious footprints. It could be arguably better if they do, as long as these can be reversed at some point in the future when better techniques come along. Or maybe not everything should be reversible, so a repair timeline of the instrument will be evident.

In many ways, a maker has much more freedom. An orange residue around the bass bar might one day be a valuable identifying feature of a maker's work.

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

But isn't it also orange under daylight?

In many ways, a maker has much more freedom. An orange residue around the bass bar might one day be a valuable identifying feature of a maker's work.

Yes, it's high-visibility orange... but not so bright under normal light that it's any better than the white chalk I normally use (orange chalk on a brown torrefied bass bar isn't that great in contrast).

Yes, a new maker has more freedom... that's why I put down painters' tape to avoid getting chalk into the plate, and before that give the plate a coat of casein to keep the tape from pulling off fibers.  Might not be too keen for restoration work.

Eternity arts makes an okay UV chalk that is white in daylight.  It's a little grainy for standard use, but it can be useful if you are stuck.  Normally, I'm using regular eternity arts chalk for patches, and Mercurious for bass bars.   All chalk will lie if you aren't careful with it...  

Kind of makes it look like a party is happening

discochalk.thumb.jpg.09bc750e8870ba87e6d34adc105211bb.jpg