Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Rant Rant

There should be an option on the site for non-musical ranting...If there is one, I am missing it, so here goes.

Today I went to the pet store, and bought, among other things, 40 pounds of cat litter. The clerk gazed upon me with pity and asked if I needed someone to carry it out to my car.

grrr.

Why is everybody asking me if I want help carrying my stuff out to my car? I was in the army, for Pete’s sake’s. I can drive an M113...and hit something with the attached 50 cal! 

I can carry my own blankety blank cat litter.

Seriously, it seems like in the last four months, I have crossed over the threshold into “Decrepit” territory. Everyone wants to help me out to the car, or suggest a new age-prevention cream.

My wife decided that coloring my hair would be a good idea. I firmly believe that happy wife=happy life, so I reluctantly acquiesced. My reward was more apologies in the next 24 hours than I have gotten in our entire marriage, but overall the results were unsuccessful. I will only look like Donald Trump for a few more weeks before I return to being happily gray.

But old? Not yet, baby!

Sheesh... one day I’m sure I’ll be happy to let some young buck carry my 40-pound box of cat litter out to my cat, but it ain’t today! 

And if I were infirm enough to need a cane, I’d be shaking it at someone.

One of my very dearest former students brought over a Christmas present today,  a neck-down painting of me playing the cello. The cello looks a bit more Mittenwald than it does Taos, But the hands are extremely accurate. They look like my hands: my bow hold and my thumb position. Perfect as a photograph.

I was astonished at such a wonderful gift, and I brought it home and I showed my wife, whose only comment was, “your hands look old.”

grrrr

PS This gentle missive is intended to be funny, btw, and is not a serious expression of anything negative....

20 minutes ago, Rue said:

You sound hangry. Perhaps some Boost?

:ph34r:

There is a line from The Disiderata:

”...Take kindly the counsel of the years; surrender gracefully the things of youth.”

Occasionally I see the wisdom in that, but not today… I’m not surrendering nothing.

Edited by PhilipKT
One of the things of youth...

2 hours ago, PQuinn said:

Even if there comes a day you can't carry the litter or you do have to walk with a cane, never begrudge growing old; a lot of people never got the chance.

Oh absolutely.

”They will not grow old, as we who are left behind grow old...”

believe me, I’d rather grow old.

I just thought it was funny that all of a sudden, AFTER my beloved Boss colors my hair so I’ll look younger, everyone is offering me assistance.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Oh absolutely.

”They will not grow old, as we who are left behind grow old...”

believe me, I’d rather grow old.

I just thought it was funny that all of a sudden, AFTER my beloved Boss colors my hair so I’ll look younger, everyone is offering me assistance.

It could be because of the hair color. If it’s any consolation, I started going grey at 17 - the one time I tried coloring it (I was going for blue) it came out wilted-lettuce yellow.

21 hours ago, Porteroso said:

The pet store person is probably required by their boss to ask everyone if they need help with heavy things, btw. They ask me too, and I'm not old like you. 

Bwahaha!

On 28 December 2019 at 12:33 PM, PhilipKT said:

There is a line from The Disiderata:

”...Take kindly the counsel of the years; surrender gracefully the things of youth.”

Occasionally I see the wisdom in that, but not today… I’m not surrendering nothing.

Hell no! Ain't giving up without a decent fight!!