Sign in to follow this  
ic3paw

Has anyone stepped on their instrument?

You need to upload photos (you haven't hit the requisite 10 posts yet to post images directly here, but you can post images on a photohosting site and post links), if you want the experts to weigh in here (I am not such a member, alas).   Alternatively, you could take it to a serious luthier (not the local music shop...), and get an estimate.  I cannot imagine how that could happen (and I'm a violinist--a far easier instrument to step on, in the scheme of things), though I knew a cellist who had a fabulous 18th-c. instrument that was ruined when the second violinist in his quartet lost her footing and fell into it, smashing it profoundly.  Years later, telling me the story, his eyes still filled with tears.  It was never the same.  I did just have a cellist working here in my recording studio, who was loaned a lovely French bow for the gig, and was enough of a space cadet that I twice had to rescue it from under his butt as he tried to sit on it.  From your description, if you have a fine instrument, it is likely worth repairing.  If it is a cheap instrument, then the repairs will far outstrip the value of the instrument.  If multiple cracks means three or four, and one of those isn't a bass bar or sound post crack, and the crack in the back isn't a sound post crack, you could be OK, ultimately.  Some would suggest that fine repairs could even improve the sound of your instrument.  Good luck. 

On a couple of occasions I have illustrated instruments that were run over with a car, and needed sticking back together

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/323753-19th-early-20th-century-germans-austro-hungarians/&do=findComment&comment=593763

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/339872-french-cornerblockology/&do=findComment&comment=792987

And on Viola D‘Amore that was lying on the floor when someone fell on it,

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/342252-it-never-rains-but-it-pours-albani-damore/&do=findComment&comment=843184

I have also repaired violins that were sat on, but it is difficult to imagine how to step on a cello without a stepladder

51 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I have never stepped on an instrument, but I have always wanted to -- to see what it would sound like.

Go for it! Post a video! :)

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Ladies first:D

Sorry, I don't know enough! I'd probably step on a real Strad that I thought was a cheap knockoff!

13 hours ago, ic3paw said:

Has anyone stepped on their instrument?

Of course. Stepped on, sat on, dropped, run over by a car, lost it down a flight of stairs. Casualties from pretty much anything you can imagine, including using a fiddle to beat a former lover, or torture them by destroying it in front of them.

32 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Of course. Stepped on, sat on, dropped, run over by a car, lost it down a flight of stairs. Casualties from pretty much anything you can imagine, including using a fiddle to beat a former lover, or torture them by destroying it in front of them.

HORTENSIO

Why, no, for she hath broke the lute to me.

I did but tell her she mistook her frets,

And bowed her hand to teach her fingering,

When, with a most impatient devilish spirit,

'Frets' call you these?” quoth she. “I’ll fume with them!”

And with that word she struck me on the head,

And through the instrument my pate made way,

The Taming of the Shrew Act 2 Scene 1

Shakespeare ca.1590

Note to self: don't put the bow case on the roof of the car while you're loading the bass in the back. Hopefully even I'm not too thick to learn my lesson after doing it...twice!

First time ran over my own bow backing up (luckily it was in a really tough case).

Second time a kind stranger flagged me down in the street before it fell off...my stand partner's only decent bow I'd taken to rehair. Ugh! 

I have a murky memory of having to make a certain number of posts before uploading photos was allowed. Still the case? Any way around it? OP just joined. 

15 hours ago, ic3paw said:

I stepped on my instrument. How much do I have to pay for to fix it? I have multiple cracks on the face of my cello and one small crack on the back.

If you managed that for Christmas, you might want to throttle back considerably for New Years.  :ph34r::lol:

52 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

HORTENSIO

Why, no, for she hath broke the lute to me.

I did but tell her she mistook her frets,

And bowed her hand to teach her fingering,

When, with a most impatient devilish spirit,

'Frets' call you these?” quoth she. “I’ll fume with them!”

And with that word she struck me on the head,

And through the instrument my pate made way,

The Taming of the Shrew Act 2 Scene 1

Shakespeare ca.1590

Like!!  :)