Sign in to follow this  
outofnames

Adult learner progress at 3 years

I had briefly introduced myself in another poster's thread, but I thought I'd start a new one to show how my violin journey has gone over the last 3 years. 

I have no musical background at all.  Watching my kids learn to play flute and sax respectively is what motivated me to take a leap of faith and try learning violin. 

I began in Dec 2016, first lessons in Jan 2017 and have been taking them weekly ever since.  I play / practice an hour a day.

And here's an audio sampling of what I've been able to do in 3 years (ignore the weak vibrato attempt at the end of the second file). First recording was 6 weeks after I started.  The other two are from this month. 

I'm jealous of the talented strings players here who started as kids!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yfd6R6vq7rHHVK2ctX3bMiA_TrxrzcO3/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10z3uBjGBkPftEYaVGWiwZ7wmIvy7uega/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ymqk2uduw2jcOZJlxZWHs9Dom8s7sgN/view?usp=drivesdk

I think you're doing very well in such a short period of time. Congrats and thanks for posting! :)

Hiya outofnames!

What great progress! Here is some constructive criticism:

1. Intonation- overall great!

2. Accuracy of rhythm-  a couple of rough spots, but by no means bad.

3. Phrasing- work on phrasing. 

I think that you should be very proud of yourself in your accomplishments. 

Thank you for the encouragement. 

I agree with the phrasing and rhythm comments, lots of work needed. 

One of the hard parts about learning as an adult is not having a benchmark against which I can guage myself.  My kids have classmates, county and regional bands to audition against, etc. that allows them to compare against peers.

I only have my teacher as an external party for feedback and I often wonder if my progress is typical, slow, etc. 

12 hours ago, outofnames said:

One of the hard parts about learning as an adult is not having a benchmark against which I can guage myself.  My kids have classmates, county and regional bands to audition against, etc. that allows them to compare against peers.

I only have my teacher as an external party for feedback and I often wonder if my progress is typical, slow, etc. 

Is your teacher a full timer with dozens of students?

Good music teachers often organise soirées every few months where all the students are invited to play for a and audience of fellow students & their families. Others do jam sessions amongst small groups which can be fun too.

12 hours ago, outofnames said:

One of the hard parts about learning as an adult is not having a benchmark against which I can guage myself.  

I want to put words here that will not discourage you from learning more now whilst in the meantime add some perspective of what one could possible be having to deal with some time down the road.  So here goes.

What I'm thinking about is if you are the mother/housewife then you may as well keep doing what you're doing to see what this journey can be about.

If you just happen to be the father/husband in this situation then you very well may be thinking later down the road in life as to why did I put myself through all of this? 

Well firstly, I agree with the others - intonation and keeping time rhythm wise was pretty good.

If you are dad/husband.  There are some cool sounding tunes out there.  Some I found were Preludium Allegro, Romance by Tchiakovsky, Shindlers' List and Concerto em si menor by Reiding.  These are like two to five pages of music each that can make you a better fiddler/violinist and keep you lost in time while doing so - sure a mother/wife could try these too, if she wishes.

I have never had violin lessons before - just self taught.  I could always read music, just never had to hold a violin bow before.

The hinderance I'm having is bowing technique.  Ex. the second page of Preludium/Allegro.  I get comments of like "man, you're almost there but not quite".   The commentors have an idea of what this tune is suppose to sound like just by listening to me saw on wood but they'll never get it the message in the music from me - the disadvantage of not having proper instruction for best results.

I guess what I'm saying is when you're through going through all of the drills from your teacher find some music that you think you would like to play in this lifetime.

And don't forget your scales and related exercises.

On 12/27/2019 at 7:39 PM, outofnames said:

I often wonder if my progress is typical, slow, etc. 

I wouldn't worry about the pace of learning. 

Just learn to read the sheet music.  Over time it will become second nature if you stay with it.  Decent lighting around the music stand and good vision with or without glasses are a must.

16 minutes ago, outofnames said:

Learning by ear is a skill I don't think I possess. 

...you're not alone...<_<