Sign in to follow this  
antero

Another ID. Italian?

Please, ladies and gentlemen, floor is yours.

Inner work: symmetrical, slightly concave shape blocks, trapezoid cleats on the center seam.

Lower bout in two pieces: the same piece of wood, nicely mirroring tha pattern to both sides.

Lower saddle let into the rib ca 3 mm. Scroll fluting goes to the very end.

And yes, Cerruti label (1817).

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4571.JPG

IMG_4572.JPG

IMG_4573.JPG

IMG_4574.JPG

IMG_4575.JPG

"And yes, Cerruti label (1817)."

Interesting. If they can't spell Ceruti it's probably Chinese.

Seen some very interesting spelling mistakes on Chinese wannabe products.

Other than that it does look nice indeed.

10 hours ago, hendrik said:

If they can't spell Ceruti it's probably Chinese

I did not look at the label before I wrote. Partly because as I remember, also violin literature has referred to this name in both ways; correct or not, no idea.

With 18c German makers names this could be almost rule rather than exception.

But you were right, it reads Ceruti inside.

This is quite an interesting violin, and I would be tempted to take it to someone who knows a thing or two.

The body has many features of Enrico Ceruti, though the scroll really doesn't.

It's beyond my competence to know if it's a copy or something related or even the real thing. We have an Enrico Ceruti in the shop right now which has very different varnish, but I had my hands on another a couple of years ago which has similar varnish to this.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are lots of copies out there, and my very first impression was something like Withers.

Deserves more attention!

In fact our Enrico Ceruti also has a JB Ceruti label, but I think this is more likely what happens when a label is lost, and then someone tries to upgrade it a bit after the fact.

However, please do show this violin to someone who actually knows what they're talking about - I don't want to get your hopes up and most likely it's a "hommage".

The head for sure has nothing to do with Ceruti - it seems too thick and stubby, though would be good to see a clear side view. OTOH the button, the pins, the elongated corners, the overall f-hole shape and the quality of wood for the back are all quite consistent. Other things not quite so good, for example the offset notches in the f-holes ...

Is the lower saddle horizontal on the bottom edge or shaped? What is the back length?

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, martin swan said:

However, please do show this violin to someone who actually knows what they're talking about - I don't want to get your hopes up and most likely it's a "hommage".

Thank you Martin!

and best of luck with the ongoing holiday season, by the way...

Lower saddle is let into the lower rib: ca 3...4 mm.

I have asked that before - who was doing that? Or who was definitely NOT...?

Lob is 353 mm.

Yes well, I believe it to be a modern copy, but it is indeed rather well made: so I thought, - perhaps someone recognizes some specific features of the actual maker.

Oh, and for what is it worth: the lower saddle (incl its extension into the saddle) is horizontal on the bottom edge.

Who would be the likely (good) copyists of the last 20...40 years?