Sign in to follow this  
Three13

Willow linings?

Why would it it matter in an existing instrument? My understanding has been that willow is a preferred choice because of its ease of flexion during the construction of the instrument. Is there any evidence of superiority in terms of tone or compatibility with spruce or maple? ... Mat

2 hours ago, Mat Roop said:

Why would it it matter in an existing instrument? My understanding has been that willow is a preferred choice because of its ease of flexion during the construction of the instrument. Is there any evidence of superiority in terms of tone or compatibility with spruce or maple? ... Mat

I don't think there is any tonal advantage. Just that they are easy to bend, carve, and are light. 

Spruce can be harder to bend, depending on the winter growth 

3 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

1/132 looks like it could be spruce 

That's one of the reasons I asked - 3/132 is actually a different view of the same lining. 

10 hours ago, Mat Roop said:

It can be relevant for identification. It’s often an interesting instrument.

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

The photos aren't the sharpest but it looks entirely like willow to me, of a reddish variety.

And yes, the materials and inner construction details are crucial to identification.

Yes.  Black willow.

I'm not bold enough to declare if spruce or willow is better for the final results, or that it doesn't matter.

What is clear is that Cremona makers actively maintained the willow choice for generations.  To me, the out standing exception of Del Gesu has more the sense of 'Ah, I can get away with this. One less material to source.'  Rather than 'Ah, spruce linings and blocks will work better.'