Sign in to follow this  
David Burgess

Cool Chrismas (or religious) music quickies

3 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Does she Play a Burgess violin?

Not to my knowledge. But she could blow the starch out even a British-turned-Austrian's underpants,  wouldn't you say? ;)

3 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Not to my knowledge. But she could blow the starch out even a British-turned-Austrian's underpants,  wouldn't you say? ;)

is that what she's famous for?

23 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

is that what she's famous for?

No. Mostly for her great singing, and five-octave vocal range.

Any reduction in the stiffness of ones skivvies would be unintended collateral damage. :)

13 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Every time I hear “all I want for Christmas is you” I die a little bit more inside.

I hear you...all of the news coverage. I liked her 25 years ago though, as soon as she was on the radio actually (unlike you, I was once a little girl who liked to sing), and I would be lying if I said I actually think it's awful that people appreciate her now. But I also think wtf npr. Wtf msnbc, cnn, abc, etc. Can we just talk about how global warming cannot be reversed or 45's tweets or corporate plots to enslave us all, something, all of which I am far more comfortable with than revisiting my childhood circa 1991-1996...or thinking about Christmas?  Just kidding. Not really. All true. It's worse than the smell of potato bread cinnamon rolls. I think it's down to the networks (and everyone addicted to the news cycle) being completely desperate for a  light, uplifting, pleasant story. Obviously they missed the mark with us though.

How about this Christmas/ New Years classic? It's my 4-year-old's favorite. She tries so hard to sing along.

"Not Telling", the idea was that you and others would add your own. :)

Philip, I never cared for " all I want for Christmas is you”  either, and making it even worse, it was over-played to death. But not as badly as "Stairway To Heaven". :lol:

One thing I like about the video I linked is that it is done "gospel style",  more than "pop style". Jacob, I'll guess that one doesn't hear a lot of southern gospel style music in Austria. ;)

"Oh Holy Night" also has an interesting history: https://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment/movies/the-nativity-story/the-amazing-story-of-o-holy-night.aspx

14 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

With over 10M views alone for this single video - she may be the highest earning violinist in the world

At a rate of $3-$5 for every 1,000 views 10,000,000 views equates to...$30,000-$50,000.  Not bad for a 1 year old video.

Her total YouTube income is estimated at close to $1,000,000 per year.  She has over 12 million subscribers with over 2.7 billion views!  But she makes more money on tour, about $6,000,000 per tour.  (If she's not the highest earning violinist in the world, I don't know who is.)

These dudes have 30,000,000 views on their fantasia on this Christmas classic:

We caught some of the Flint Symphony Christmas show last night.  It was good, but I like music through headphones, the TV sound isn't great. The filming was great though.  Saw HUGE violas!  Every one of them was huge.  At least they looked huge.  We saw mostly excerpts from The Messiah.  The soprano had a nice voice.  

I don't like much contemporary Christmas music.  Never have.  Especially the rock stuff.  Maybe Lennon.  Mariah?  Doesn't do it for me.  I have The Messiah with the LSO on my iPod.  I'd rather hear them sing.  

One I always liked was this one:

This kid is pretty impressive with the organ arrangement of the Handel Hallelujah Chorus (although those who can't tolerate any mistakes might be offended, and I would prefer that he slowed the tempo down slightly).

8 hours ago, not telling said:

I hear you...all of the news coverage. I liked her 25 years ago though, as soon as she was on the radio actually (unlike you, I was once a little girl who liked to sing), and I would be lying if I said I actually think it's awful that people appreciate her now. But I also think wtf npr. Wtf msnbc, cnn, abc, etc. Can we just talk about how global warming cannot be reversed or 45's tweets or corporate plots to enslave us all, something, all of which I am far more comfortable with than revisiting my childhood circa 1991-1996...or thinking about Christmas?  Just kidding. Not really. All true. It's worse than the smell of potato bread cinnamon rolls. I think it's down to the networks (and everyone addicted to the news cycle) being completely desperate for a  light, uplifting, pleasant story. Obviously they missed the mark with us though.

How about this Christmas/ New Years classic? It's my 4-year-old's favorite. She tries so hard to sing along.

Gloabal warming IS a corporate plot...

55 minutes ago, Michael Jennings said:

For a slightly different take try Robert Earl Kean's "Merry Christmas From the Family"

https://youtu.be/oqN483jm6JE

Thanks, Michael. To me, that puts and interesting  perspective on older people, many of whom have lived and done almost everything, versus younger folks who have not, who need to rely on their assumptions and brainwashing.

33 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Thanks, Michael. To me, that puts and interesting  perspective on older people, many of whom have lived and done almost everything, versus younger folks who have not.

Reality does creep in unexpectedly......^_^

Apologies, but perhaps my music tastes are from another generation;   I cringe every time I hear MC, or many of the other pop singers that seem to idolize Aretha Franklin's style of singing. It's like a fine violin; a good violinist can play a stark naked note vibrato free and make it sound beautiful, as opposed to slathering it with vibrato and continually sliding pitch all over the map. I get the impression that many of these singers are trying to showcase everything they can do with their voice, flat out and everything packed into each and every song, which kills any hope of dynamics.

This is more tasteful in my opinion:

Sounds like Bill Y is saying "overly & unnecessarily coloured"... yeah it does get tiring after a while... vs pure soothing vocals.

imho nothing comes as pure as Karen's :) 

MERRY CHRISTMAS y'all

& have a safe & Happy close of Decade :D