Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Piano ivory as frog material

53 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

That comment, whether true or not, is irrelevant To the silly claim that doing it for myself and then playing a paid engagement with it would be “commercial”

You don't want to hear the warning.:unsure:

21 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Sounds like all this could create a problem for CITES rules and possibly even some state laws (once ivory is altered it loses it's "antique" status so, it's not a way around the ban) and possibly stability... Maybe use something besides ivory.

So the next time on stage, look out for the guys with the dark sunglasses, the might come to arrest you.....

I can see one purpose for old ivory keys, to replace broken ivory keys at an antique piano, and maybe to repair a zebra edge. But one shoudn't tell everybody in the internet.:ph34r::lol:

If I live in a country where the secret police is able to devote time to tracking down The likes of fellows who use a bit of ivory to make a frog, I think that indicates that the country is doing quite well, and I will take it.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

That comment, whether true or not, is irrelevant To the silly claim that doing it for myself and then playing a paid engagement with it would be “commercial”

And because I’m not asking the question for the purpose of any kind of financial gain, your comment is moot, because you claim that people would only do this(If it were possible in the first place) if it were financially profitable to do so. I was asking because I wanted to know if I could put this old material to aesthetically pleasing use.

Weren't you the one telling us that his violin-maker has given up?

1. Ivory is banned - good. Let's hope other countries take the ban seriously.

2. Destroying hoards of illegal ivory that was collected after the ban. Good idea.

3. Ivory already in use - antique, historical, let it alone. Use it to honour the elephant and as an example of why it's a bad idea to kill solely for use as a decoration.

4. Repurposing ivory - why not? See 3.

Whether it's worthwhile to make a laminate ivory frog is besides the point. Could you make an attractive frog out of laminated ivory is the question. 

I still don't see why not. Who would ever have thought that a raw edge slab of wood with an acrylic insert would become popular?

2e039d197b4c108_img_1172_1.jpg

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

"Rubbish" would be a patchwork frog, made from old disguarded junk

How many frogs are not some sort of patchwork, whether from fused pieces of tortoise shell, or ebony in combination with silver and shell?

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Weren't you the one telling us that his violin-maker has given up?

Jay closed his shop, but will continue doing bow work and minor repairs out of his house, but that’s entirely irrelevant to the topic at hand.