Maestronet Forums

Reality and fantasy regarding violin sound. What's important?

Rue

On 12/18/2019 at 7:42 PM, Marty Kasprzyk said:

The suspense is killing me--was it really a Strad?

Yes. I could have handed him mine though, and he would have sounded amazing. He did an after concert Q&A, and talked about his instrument some. Obviously the audience asked him about it. Not sure if your question was serious or not...

10 hours ago, Roger Frankland said:

I just picked up my fiddle after a 5 year hiatus.  That, in itself, is rather amazing, but it does tell a tale.  We get so used to something or wanting something, we lose reality!  We get tuned out. Anyhow, the A and E strings sound glorious. The G and D, rather aweful. Reason could be almost anthing, maybe it is just a great tenor, lol.  But, i could connect with the A and E whereas the G and D were untouchable. So, i picked up my daughter’s violin .. just the opposite! Hmmm.

Often this is related to setup. If you divide the quality of the violin into 3rds, strings, setup, wood/craftmanship being equally important, you can do a ton with especially tailpiece/gut to mitigate bad lower strings. You should take it to a good luthier. Soundpost everyone thinks of, but tailpiece can make shocking changes.

56 minutes ago, Porteroso said:

Yes. I could have handed him mine though, and he would have sounded amazing. He did an after concert Q&A, and talked about his instrument some. Obviously the audience asked him about it. Not sure if your question was serious or not...

Yes, That's the point--anything you hand them they can make sound amazing.  So it's not a question of what sounds good--it's a question of what they like to use and why.