Sign in to follow this  
Annet Ann

Violin strings question

Best thing to do if buying strings for a gift is to get the ones they like and/or the ones on their instrument already. Know what they are? Thomastic Dominants are among the most used, but some people dont like them. If you dont know, and you could get a pic of the violin strings near the tail piece, someone here could identify whats already on the instrument

Just grab visions or vision solo. I've heard in several shops that it's widely accepted that Dominant quality has dropped since the 90s when it was all anyone used. Visions are pretty transparent, hold up, and low tension. Plus you can actually afford to change them as often as you need to. Stay away from Evahs or other expensive strings I would say.

I still prefer dominants fwiw they are lower tension than vision strings and not really more expensive. Dean is right. Get them what they already have and like.  Strings can be tricky when someone is use to a certain brand or type.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:00 PM, Annet Ann said:

Hi Everybody.

Can someone help me with the selection of violin strings here https://goodscomparing.com/violin-strings or at Amazon. I need it for the additional gift and I do not really familiar with it.

Is there a picture of the strings on the instruments? The colors of the wrapping at the end of the strings help identify what they are. Most of the members here can help with the identification.

I only used Peter Infeld and perpetuals.

Adding on to this topic, anybody know where to get decent prices on strings online that won't charge an arm and a leg for shipping to military addresses overseas (FPO address)? My usual sites all want $10 to ship strings via USPS, all I need is for them to put in a Manila envelope and mail them, shouldn't cost nearly that much.