Sign in to follow this  
Acadian

Mathbias Rudemann violin

4 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

The OP photos show an undistinguished one piece back, which I wouldn't be surprised is the same sort without the marketese.

An auction description like this for the OP would give much a better cause to sue them than a wrong condition report.

You're spending too much time in Ebay, obviously.:huh:

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

made somewhere in Vogtland (an historical cultural region overlapping the current border between Saxony in southeastern Germany and the Czech Republic),

The southern part of Saxon, otherwise known as "Musikwinkel" etc. is Vogtland, the adjoining part of Northern Bohemia is called "Egerland"

6 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The southern part of Saxon, otherwise known as "Musikwinkel" etc. is Vogtland, the adjoining part of Northern Bohemia is called "Egerland"

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Blank face said:

An auction description like this for the OP would give much a better cause to sue them than a wrong condition report.

You're spending too much time in Ebay, obviously.:huh:

:P

4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

How does it sound and play?  :)

3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

It needs some little TLC haha . My father of 94 years old said that I should bring it to have new strings and have it look over. Basically a tune up. It plays ok sound okay. I'm just getting into playing violin  fiddle. I bought this fiddle for 50 dollars cdn.  

Thanks for everyone for the info. Greatly appreciated 

49 minutes ago, Acadian said:

I'm just getting into playing violin  fiddle. I bought this fiddle for 50 dollars cdn.    

Get yourself a better violin as soon as you can. This one is worth less than a good set of strings.

5 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Get yourself a better violin as soon as you can. This one is worth less than a good set of strings.

Wow you're not too encouraging for someone that just staring off

Without hearing it, or having a sense of how well it's been set up, it's hard to tell how 'good' it is.

Regardless - if you are brand new to violin it will certainly suffice to get you started (the first couple of years)  You'll know soon enough if its holding you back.

For $50 - you have a very inexpensive start. And it may actually be fine to take you further.  But yes, you will need new strings and possibly some other adjustments.

I suggest, if you're curious, take a lesson/s from an experienced teacher (traditional - not fiddle) and have them test drive it for you. They'll be able to tell you roughly how 'good' it is.

BTW, taking lessons from a 'traditional' violin teacher won't hinder your fiddle playing. The basics are the same, and you're less likely to pick up any bad habits that some fiddle players have, that might hold you back down the road.

Caveat: not all fiddle players have bad habits of course,  but as a beginner you don't know what to look for, or what they might be.

44 minutes ago, Rue said:

Without hearing it, or having a sense of how well it's been set up, it's hard to tell how 'good' it is.

Regardless - if you are brand new to violin it will certainly suffice to get you started (the first couple of years)  You'll know soon enough if its holding you back.

For $50 - you have a very inexpensive start. And it may actually be fine to take you further.  But yes, you will need new strings and possibly some other adjustments.

I suggest, if you're curious, take a lesson/s from an experienced teacher (traditional - not fiddle) and have them test drive it for you. They'll be able to tell you roughly how 'good' it is.

BTW, taking lessons from a 'traditional' violin teacher won't hinder your fiddle playing. The basics are the same, and you're less likely to pick up any bad habits that some fiddle players have, that might hold you back down the road.

Caveat: not all fiddle players have bad habits of course,  but as a beginner you don't know what to look for, or what they might be.

Thank you very much for the advice. 

3 hours ago, Acadian said:

Wow you're not too encouraging for someone that just staring off

Part of the joy of learning to play the violin is making a pleasant tone, and that can be impossible on a bad violin. This can be very discouraging for a beginner and lead to quitting. 

I cannot imagine that this violin sounds pleasant. It reminds me of a violin I saw recently that was made in a Polish violin factory in the early 70s. Horrible thing.

So I am actually being encouraging by encouraging you to get a better violin.

First things first ^_^...have someone look at what you have.  Don't want to end up with several low-end violins.

If the one you have turns out to be unplayable, then go to Plan B.

It's good to get advice and different opinions, but don't get too bogged down with the differing opinions or you'll never move forward...

15 hours ago, Eryri said:

Medio fino or similar.

A Medio Fino has scratched purfling and unfigured maple, but never pinched rib joints, a scroll or varnish like this. The OP was definitely made in the Saxon/Western Bohemian Region with such features.

Nonetheless it can sound well enough if it’s not too heavy graduated, at least it has no structural damages like worse cracks or revarnishing.

5 minutes ago, Blank face said:

A Medio Fino has scratched purfling and unfigured maple, but never pinched rib joints, a scroll or varnish like this. The OP was definitely made in the Saxon/Western Bohemian Region with features like this.

Nonetheless it can sound well enough if it’s not too heavy graduated, at least it has no structural damages like worse cracks or revarnishing.

I'm going to bring it to get it look over. I will put new strings and make sure the keys are in good shape. And also that the sound post is at the right place. I'm not to worried about scratches and  bad  varnish. For me it's about the sound. 

One should however bear in mind that it represents the cheapest and nastiest fiddles from there, and should it require further investment, one might be well advised to put it in the bin, and buy a better violin

3 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

One should however bear in mind that it represents the cheapest and nastiest fiddles from there, and should it require further investment, one might be well advised to put it in the bin, and buy a better violin

That's fair 

1 hour ago, Eryri said:

I see you haven't forgotten your waffle fiasco. 

You mean the thread where I had a difference of opinion with someone over what proportion of Mirecourt factory violins were made by the "violin gaufré" method? My opinion was based on the first hand experience of people who actually worked in Mirecourt, in particular Patrick Kreit.

If you think the OP violin is a Médio Fino then I can't see how you would know who was right or wrong in a discussion of waffle violins.

Can the OP please post a photo of the button - that is, the small semicircle of wood at the very top of the back where the neck joins on. Square on and not oblique, please. The top half of the back including it would be ideal. And a view from the side of this area, square on and showing the shape of the neck heel would be useful too.