Sign in to follow this  
Acadian

Mathbias Rudemann violin

Try reading the post above about properly photographing violins for identification purposes. I’m sure there’s someone here who can help you if they have the right images.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:41 PM, Three13 said:

Try reading the post above about properly photographing violins for identification purposes. I’m sure there’s someone here who can help you if they have the right images.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:59 PM, Acadian said:

does anyone know anything about this violin

OK, do you have the the violin in your possession, or are you posting the seller's photos? 

If YOU have it, please post more photos, following the guidelines in the Pegbox pinned post that Jacob linked for you to read.

If you DON'T have it, please insert a direct link to the seller's offering so we can go look at it.

Thanks.  :)

Also - the first name is Matthias - even if it looks like Mattbias.

If you're Googling, using the actual spelling will help.

On 12/16/2019 at 6:41 PM, Violadamore said:

OK, do you have the the violin in your possession, or are you posting the seller's photos? 

If YOU have it, please post more photos, following the guidelines in the Pegbox pinned post that Jacob linked for you to read.

If you DON'T have it, please insert a direct link to the seller's offering so we can go look at it.

Thanks.  :)

Here's some more pictures 20191217_231254.thumb.jpg.2394acb740ac8183ce4f7fb4a60a15ae.jpg20191217_231307.thumb.jpg.4338d4df68271305180f9f4e5300762b.jpg20191217_231335.thumb.jpg.0a88533a69856cb18d7281914ab02dc3.jpg20191217_231345.thumb.jpg.12bb72a4b8d3177a44f7f4fe2334752f.jpg20191217_231412.thumb.jpg.87515251bbcef9ef827a758fe621f525.jpg20191217_231422.thumb.jpg.493998da55c8dee42011963999c24c6a.jpg

1 hour ago, Acadian said:

Please see my updated photos. Any info on this violin is appreciated. 

Thanks for the photos.  IMHO, the violin is a low-end "trade fiddle" probably made somewhere in Vogtland (an historical cultural region overlapping the current border between Saxony in southeastern Germany and the Czech Republic), around 1900.  The violin shows several characteristic signs of the built-on-back method originally used in that region, coupled with the plain, undistinguished wood patterning, scratched-in purfling, imprecise carving, and sloppy varnishing one would associate with the cheapest grade of trade fiddles.

I have been unable to identify either Matthias Rudemann, or Pardewald, and would assume that the label is a complete fiction inserted in the violin by a manufacturer or distributor prior to sale.  The violin would most likely have been actually assembled and finished by a shop in either Schönbach (now Luby, Czech Republic), Markneukirchen, Klingenthal, or Fleissen (now Plesná, Czech Republic), in order of probability.

A similar violin sold for £ 816 at Bonhams in 2005:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/11523/lot/328/

47 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

A similar violin sold for £ 816 at Bonhams in 2005:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/11523/lot/328/

I can't see any pictures of the violin at the bonhams auction, but if it was anything like the OP one would have to assume that £600 of the auction price would have been related to the two included bows..

The Bonham's  is described as "attractive one piece slabwood back of mottled curl ", what the OP definitely doesn't look like, so it was most probably a firm delivering very different grades of quality. So there's no use to reason from such an incidental auction result to a general value of instruments having the same label but offering a basic level only.

Rudemann in Pardewald sounds indeed like a fancy made up name without regard to real persons or locations. Maybe someone thought of Mittenwald, of Ruddiman in Aberdeen and the "rude (Ger)mans".B)

33 minutes ago, Guido said:

I can't see any pictures of the violin at the bonhams auction, but if it was anything like the OP one would have to assume that £600 of the auction price would have been related to the two included bows..

The description tallies with the photos here, and I would not be surprised.......  :)

3 minutes ago, matesic said:

"attractive one piece slabwood back of mottled curl"?

Yup, that's one way to put it.  Remember that the next time you're reading auction descriptions.............  :lol:

1 minute ago, Blank face said:

The Bonham's  is described as "attractive one piece slabwood back of mottled curl ", what the OP definitely doesn't look like, so it was most probably a firm delivering very different grades of quality. So there's no use to reason from such an incidental auction result to a general value of instruments having the same label but offering a basic level only.

Rudemann in Pardewald sounds indeed like a fancy made up name without regard to real persons or locations. Maybe someone thought of Mittenwald, of Ruddiman in Aberdeen and the "rude (Ger)mans".B)

The OP photos show an undistinguished one piece back, which I wouldn't be surprised is the same sort without the marketese.  I simply noted the single auction result, I didn't endorse it.  :P 

On 12/16/2019 at 5:48 PM, Acadian said:

Yes I have it in my possession................

How does it sound and play?  :)