Sign in to follow this  
tartarane

veritas plane

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

The thumb screw?  It works just fine for me so far.  I tighten it snug after I sharpen and adjust the blade and pretty much forget it.  Again, I have the stainless version (I think it was the anniversary model?). 

thanks Jeffrey, that was worrying me  I could of course buy one as a xmas present for my assistant and wait and see :-)))))))

10 minutes ago, tartarine said:

well thank you all for your answers and suggestions

nobody really answered my question ie does the screw of this plane(pocket veritas) work well.? I bought the miniature veritas, which was not meant to be used true but just looked at ,  but nevertheless works if you add a piece of wood to tighten the screw in place. since the new pocket plane has the same fastening system I was wondering wether for this plane you can tighten the blade less than every minute.

While I prefer a plane with an adjustable mouth for mulit-tasking, shimming with wood can probably work just as well, aside from requiring a little more dinking.

1 minute ago, tartarine said:

thanks Jeffrey, that was worrying me  I could of course buy one as a xmas present for my assistant and wait and see :-)))))))

Guinnea pigs are useful.  :) Looks like the Stainless model is still available if you're interested.  I added a link in my previous post.

Just now, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Guinnea pigs are useful.  :) Looks like the Stainless model is still available if you're interested.  I added a link in my previous post.

thanks I will get one at least !

45 minutes ago, tartarine said:

43 minutes ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Guinnea pigs are useful.  :)

By all means, let your assistant be the guinnea pig.

This may have been one of the most historically useful things ever in fiddlemaking. :)

"Omobono, I have this new idea for a purfling cutter." :D

I was used for many experiments when i was in the Weisshaar shop, and many others there were too. One guy who had just started working there was given print descriptions of procedures, with little-or-no other coaching, to see what would need to be changed for the final print version of the Weisshaar book.

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

One guy who had just started working there was given print descriptions of procedures, with little-or-no other coaching, to see what would need to be changed for the final print version of the Weisshaar book.

Probably took him years to un-learn that

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

While I prefer a plane with an adjustable mouth for mulit-tasking, shimming with wood can probably work just as well, aside from requiring a little more dinking.

With the blade set for a fine cut I can just get a .022"/.559mm feeler gauge through the mouth on my stainless model. The mouth is pretty tight out of the box. But you'll not be able to take coarse shavings.

1 hour ago, tartarine said:

because I was not talking about the adjuster for the blade, but of the iron cap which keeps the blade in place

thank you all the same Mark

That screw is reliable and subtle in its functionality. I can easily back off the tension just enough to adjust the blade depth and lateral position without making the blade loose. And it would be easy to over tighten the lever cap, but, of course, why would you want to do that.

Pretty hard to go wrong with Veritas products, especially their planes.

Leonard Lee and his team go to great lengths researching quality historic tools, and improving functionality wherever they can. These aren't a cheap hardware store copy of old planes; prototypes are fully tested as part of the development process before the design is finalized and released for production. Of course, you pay for this quality, but I think there are very few dissatisfied customers.

I think I might have been the friend that told Jeff about it....

I've been using the pocket plane for a little while.  I first acquired it because It of Gear Acquisition Syndrome, otherwise known as GAS. Since then, it's become a go to plane for a a wide variety of trimming and fitting jobs, and it feels wonderful in the hand.  Perhaps the most surprising thing i've found it useful for is trimming the sides of fingerboards when fitting a new board.  Being smaller than a normal block plane, it's somewhat easier to achieve nice hollow on the flanks when using a shooting board.  The thumb hollow is square to the bottom, and it's relatively easy to ride the thumb hollow on the shooting board. 

321396261_Veritaspocketplane.thumb.jpg.57267ac1cc0db506c74db3e8988ab172.jpg

2 hours ago, MarkBouquet said:

With the blade set for a fine cut I can just get a .022"/.559mm feeler gauge through the mouth on my stainless model. The mouth is pretty tight out of the box. But you'll not be able to take coarse shavings.

That screw is reliable and subtle in its functionality. I can easily back off the tension just enough to adjust the blade depth and lateral position without making the blade loose. And it would be easy to over tighten the lever cap, but, of course, why would you want to do that.

fineI’ll get one

20 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

The thumb screw?  It works just fine for me so far.  I tighten it snug after I sharpen and adjust the blade and pretty much forget it.  Again, I have the stainless version (I think it's the anniversary model?). I don't think that would make much difference, but who knows.

LinK:

Stainless Version

thanks a LOT, Jeff.  Now you've got me wanting one!  and since every day is christmas at CV, I don't think this will be under the tree.  Unless I sell some wood...