Maestronet Forums

Neck set question

Hi. Is anyone familiar with this neck setting system? I never saw it before. It is a screw inserted trough the neck to the upper block. Is maybe a later repair? Is it a feature of any school? The neck seems to be original transitional but it could be anything else... Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

38 minutes ago, Michael Appleman said:

I was told this was regularly done by English makers, but I'd be interested to know if our resident English experts on MN concur.

Perhaps not regularly, but it was done by some English makers.
I'm sure I have a few pictures of this on various things where they still retain their original necks.
It is also found on cellos and violas. With cellos there can be another screw placed low down from the inside too.

The most common way by far however, was the single screw through the neck block from inside the body.

There is a decent picture of something like this in the British Violin book. I have it at home, but not at the shop, so I'll try to get a picture of the example shown there.

I've never seen this on anything other than English instruments, but it seems like it could happen anywhere in the world.

@Blank face Does the rounded surface on which the neck is screwed and glued Maybe offer some leeway to make sure the neck is set straight and the fingerboard Ends up in the middle between the f-holes? It seems this is a Problem you often Encounter on cheaper Instruments, and I can imagine this to be an investion to solve this Problem. Is that completely out of the Question?

edit: i just read your Seidel likely wasn't screwed, the Question still stands though.

32 minutes ago, baroquecello said:

@Blank face Does the rounded surface on which the neck is screwed and glued Maybe offer some leeway to make sure the neck is set straight and the fingerboard Ends up in the middle between the f-holes? It seems this is a Problem you often Encounter on cheaper Instruments, and I can imagine this to be an investion to solve this Problem. Is that completely out of the Question?

edit: i just read your Seidel likely wasn't screwed, the Question still stands though.

I can see no advantage in making a rounded mortice to the usual squarish in centering the neck. Seidels weren't "cheaper" but at the "fine" end of the Markneukirchen production and I'm assuming that this way to set the through neck was meant to give the impression of a morticed neck, which was more fashionable and modern in the second half of the 19th century. There are also (possibly later?) Seidel violins with a conventional modern neck with seperated block.

The new photos of the OP seem to indicate that the seperate neck block is original and it has in my eyes a certain "Bohemian" look (correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore I'm strongly supposing that this particular neck set was one of the weird attempts of a transition between the through neck in the Seidel way and a real morticed neck from the later 19th century, too.

40 minutes ago, baroquecello said:

The neck seems to be straight now so it could be fixed later with this method. I agree with Blank Face that this just could easily be a different way of attaching the neck between through neck method and morticed method. The overall shape reminds me of Chappuy but of course I'd never confirm this being aware of the number of experts here...