Maestronet Forums

Violin ID please

reg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Look at the rear view of the scroll and the inner turns - they are chestnut brown.

But more significantly they just don't belong together in style or level of workmanship.

The scroll does look very brutal compared to the body. Zooming in the pics shows a step between the neck root and button where the neck has been badly glued in.

Either it’s been out and repaired by a clown, or it is from something else.

16 minutes ago, Blank face said:

The different shade of colour is more likely dirt or antiquing

Could it be real wear and tear rather than having been "antiqued" when it was made ?

This is a very well used instrument that could have just been badly treated during its lifetime. It may never have been cleaned and the rosin just left to bake on. Just have a look at the fingerboard to see the evidence.

fingerboard worn.jpg

29 minutes ago, Blank face said:

The different shade of colour is more likely dirt or antiquing. But the scroll was exactly what made me think "using Schönbach parts". It happened like we've seen sometimes before. Mind the filemarks at the ear.

Are they file marks? More like big scratches!

The condition of the body really isn't that bad - we see a lot of Mirecourt instruments with original blackening around the bridge platform.

Anyway, I just can't see any stylistic common ground between body and scroll - even if it was some sort of Mirecourt/MK amalgam we would expect to see some parity of workmanship.

I wouldn't interpretate too much into the - with all respects - basic photos here. I agree that the neck seems to be (re)glued lopsided and with a step between button and heel, so there's not much objective evidence if it's original or not. Might look much different in colour in real life than it seems to be now, and also workmanship could be more homogenous. At least it's a basic shop instrument we can't know who made the parts nor the reason why the particular body and neck were assembled. Also the scratches could be rasp marks, deliberate antiquing or accidents.

54 minutes ago, Delabo said:

It may never have been cleaned and the rosin just left to bake on. Just have a look at the fingerboard to see the evidence.

In my eyes it looks like the typical "moustache" made from the start. The fingerboard is a fruitwood being very prone to this wear due to the use of steelstrings.

6 minutes ago, Delabo said:

Are we looking at the yellow ground of a violin that was once covered in a maroon\reddy coloured varnish ?

The back of the scroll still has that varnish and there are remnants left all over the body.

This shading is related to the "Caussin effort". In my experience there were many instruments varnished exactly this way.

A the actual heel/button photo it all seems the same, colour, varnish, marks, so I can see no evidence that the neck doesn't belong; just badly reglued.

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

A the actual heel/button photo it all seems the same, colour, varnish, marks, so I can see no evidence that the neck doesn't belong; just badly reglued.

Haha, I would have said the opposite. The varnish on the heel looks very yellow, and the button has a red which is discontinuous.

Anyway, I don't suppose it's any kind of dealbreaker. It's a basic Mirecourt body with a horrible neck that may or may not be original.

Not to prolong this as I realise it is not a major find, but I have found the discussion very educating

Thank you

It is labelled copie da Tecchler (David) with the usual date

Below is the other side of the neck and there is a distinct gap at the top which leads me to think Martin is correct. The body is good but the neck perhaps added and of poorer quality

20191210_155159_HDR_resized.jpg