Maestronet Forums

Keep or send back?

Won an ebay auction on a (new) viola; arrived yesterday with the soundpost rattling inside (expected) and what looks like a crack on the bass side where the neck attaches to the body . I paid about $260 shipping included. Is this likely to hold up or fold like the cheap viola it is? Is it worth negotiating a discount or should I just bail on it?

Thanks!

Bogdan

IMG_20191206_214317.jpg

I’d send it back and get a refund. A new instrument should be solid. If that neck breaks (without knowing how it was repaired, there’s no knowing if it will hold a day or a century), you’ll spend a lot more than you paid to repair it.

If it’s an instrument that seems like an amazing bargain, the damage is probably the reason, and the seller may have been trying to dump it on an unsuspecting buyer. 

Had the sound post installed yesterday and had it under full string tension since; it didn't snap yet  :)

I like the sound even with the original strings, and with a sizable refund decided to take my chances and keep it... Thanks all for chiming in! Only have a violin bow, so off to ebay again for a viola bow...

I bought a Cello from them which had a knot rather close to the Sound post area in the back. I contacted them and we agreed on lifelong guarantee for that. 6 years on and the Cello is still Holding up. I've seen other cases in which a refund, or indeed a replacement was sent. They usually Reply quickly and reasonably. Even if you plan on keeping it, it is worth trying to get something out of it. Selling the viola to you in this state without mentioning the fault is not correct, they shouldn't just get away with it in my opinion.

On 12/11/2019 at 2:43 AM, baroquecello said:

I bought a Cello from them which had a knot rather close to the Sound post area in the back. I contacted them and we agreed on lifelong guarantee for that. 6 years on and the Cello is still Holding up. I've seen other cases in which a refund, or indeed a replacement was sent. They usually Reply quickly and reasonably. Even if you plan on keeping it, it is worth trying to get something out of it. Selling the viola to you in this state without mentioning the fault is not correct, they shouldn't just get away with it in my opinion.

I did get a substantial refund; willing to take a chance on it. Curious about your cello, how much setup work did it require when you got it?

I t would be best to dowel the heel now rather than try to repair it after it breaks.

The grain is horribly crooked and it is only a mater of time.

About 45 degrees off of the ribs,,,,,,from the front toward the scroll ,,,,to the bottom of the heel,  close to the outer curve of the thumb placement.

Not a big deal if it's done before it gets dropped, or bumped, or if you cough while playing it.