Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Slim and trim soundpost


Barry J. Griffiths
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was cleaning up my workbench (always a dangerous thing) and I rediscovered this violin soundpost from years ago. Overall length of 50mm, width at the ends 6-6.25mm, and width in the middle 4.0mm. I have no idea who made it or what violin it was from. Clean cut ends and very narrow grain (spruce).

35B3699C-AA15-4C28-A25F-8CD6EE3667B9.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

These are obviously done for tonal reasons.

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

That neither one is currently in an instrument makes me suspect that they were experiments which didn't work out.  :)

Mine definitely was an experiment, and there was no tonal "reason" other than to check out what would happen.

It isn't in an instrument because it is a weird-looking thing... not because it didn't work.  It worked fine, but since it wasn't better than a regular post, there was no reason to use it.  Perhaps at a higher level, someone could detect a difference.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had a couple of violins which sounded great, particularly rich in overtones, strong, full, free,... until I discovered that the post was wedged in at a frightening angle pushing the plates just with an edge. That was obviously a recipe for a post crack... but I could not get the sound back with a regular/ properly fitted post. Happened two times with different violins and extremely similar before/after outcomes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Guido said:

I have had a couple of violins which sounded great, particularly rich in overtones, strong, full, free,... until I discovered that the post was wedged in at a frightening angle pushing the plates just with an edge. That was obviously a recipe for a post crack... but I could not get the sound back with a regular/ properly fitted post. Happened two times with different violins and extremely similar before/after outcomes.

I used to glue soundest patches in my new instruments to prevent cracks from happening in the first place.  These were  about 20mm diameter heavy kraft paper completely soaked through with hide glue.

Perhaps a soundest with just an edge contacting the top and/or back plate is the "best fit" for some violins if you didn't have to worry about cracks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Three13 said:

The best sounding violin I've got has a freakishly large soundpost - about 6.5-mm in diameter. I've never heard it with anything different. Should I assume a less voluptuous post would sound better?

I see a good many 6.2+ to 6.5 posts in rather nice sounding fiddles... As the saying goes (in this case)  "if it works don't fix it"... and if some luthier disagrees and tells you a thinner post would absolutely be better, I'd quote a friend of mine who once said to a participant of a workshop we were teaching "It's probably not a good idea to think you are the first genius to be inside of that violin".  I admit to a smile whenever I think of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

I see a good many 6.2+ to 6.5 posts in rather nice sounding fiddles... As the saying goes (in this case)  "if it works don't fix it"... and if some luthier disagrees and tells you a thinner post would absolutely be better, I'd quote a friend of mine who once said to a participant of a workshop we were teaching "It's probably not a good idea to think you are the first genius to be inside of that violin".  I admit to a smile whenever I think of that.

I usually make posts 6.3 with a tendency to go larger when the post is long, thinner when short. I have never found  thinner or thicker posts to give consistent results and also wonder if any differences are caused by stiffness or by contact area with the plates. Perhaps people with more of a scientific and patient bent have experimented with this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Perhaps people with more of a scientific and patient bent have experimented with this.

Well, yeah.  That super-skinny one was one experiment.  Results have been pretty much:

18 minutes ago, nathan slobodkin said:

 I have never found  thinner or thicker posts to give consistent results 

So I just make boring standard posts and don't worry about that dead-end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had "interesting" results using bamboo straws or tubes as well as balsa posts. I wouldn't call it better, just different, and heck that could have been just a location change, but it does seem to effect bow response a little as well as peak amplitude, or it did those times I messed with it. They were very hard to fit, took multiple tries and posts, and so I figured it was way more trouble than it was worth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...