Sign in to follow this  
Maxime Landry

Jakob Krampera

Does anybody knows about Jakob Krampera ? He was a violin maker in Znaim (now known as Znojmo, Czech Republic) in the middle of the 19th century. I own a violin from him, a 1841, that needs some work (open seams, neck reset, new bridge). I’m gonna repair it and set it up right to really test it but I wanted to know a little bit about him and the quality of his work. Thank you !

27798E3A-A949-4BB5-BE69-8FD5AE1F1F51.jpeg

8042B8F0-8C19-4DA6-9EB9-D6163937F29C.jpeg

D5CC57E8-CC00-49F4-950D-ED824458B601.jpeg

4AE87B0F-8C8B-440C-9358-99936192A63D.jpeg

I have the impression that Josef Wassermann was the last maker in Znaim who made his own instruments. The instruments of Krampera give the impression that he was a shopkeeper who sold instruments made in Schönbach, with his shop label stuck in through the sound hole, and I have yet to see one that made me doubt that.

To call yourself rightfully at a label or shop sign an "Instrumentenmacher" one would need to make a single instrument only for the Meisterprüfung. Noone would ever have cared if the rest was just bought in from elsewhere., and it was and is still done this way very regularly.

BTW, the pictured instrument with the Ole Bull brand looks to me like from the "usual" Dutzendware from the late 19th century, so the bogus label inside is insignificant anyway.

You were absolutely right, mass produced german fiddle that was probably sold by Jakob Krampera. It has a through neck, fake corner blocks, poorly carved top plate and bass bar. 

I cleaned everything, shimmed the neck, repositioned it, smoothened top plate and I’m putting all together, will make a new bridge and see how it sounds !

Jacob you can add this one to your list of Krampera’s trade fiddles :p

16551F2D-ACCA-4F50-A9AC-E7680AF142B7.jpeg

DE10E6D9-7C85-485B-96C5-004F49BFF678.jpeg

83BAC3AE-6463-4E06-96A3-536B277E0F62.jpeg