Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Free cello! Save it!

I bought this cello in my foolish younger days....so foolish. In ‘97-98, I think.

It sat in Jays shop until he closed and he told me to come get it. It has no neck, and the top has had horses dancing on it. But the back is in fine shape and the ribs are solid.

I have no idea what it is, and I’d love some guesses from the folks here but I hate to just throw it away.  I think it might sound worthwhile. I’d like to offer it gratis to someone who wants a very major project. Pay shipping and I’ll happily send it to you. If you’re local come pick it up

04EF53A6-8C9B-48B7-B594-35271B22F6F9.jpeg

9A590E00-F755-4D79-ADDC-00038F3833DD.jpeg

9E6FFB46-F25C-4CB3-A517-EA7FF0D42C6B.jpeg

F5D67F7C-B444-40C5-9569-570C752C0514.jpeg

C03E98EE-ABC6-4C34-A51F-B4D2EC44D2FE.jpeg

27A247FB-B574-4CB6-BD3F-244CD9CE7C87.jpeg

8F8FE82E-08B6-49D2-8DB0-F6FDE923E60C.jpeg

AC9751B1-284A-411A-AD23-E34FCBFEA2A7.jpeg

5A767B40-1606-4FF5-BCA1-D1C9358B44E3.jpeg

4A3AAD13-D069-41EE-AA4A-F4C9F9594A19.jpeg

872514BD-72C4-46B3-B811-B352E7E37FE4.jpeg

8F1EE69A-D6FF-4892-AAA9-5A785062D1A2.jpeg

FF02F0C6-2053-4B31-B039-A51174EB04ED.jpeg

BC34E823-1311-4C37-8ABD-2347B4958439.jpeg

I’d love to find this scenario and saving an old cello as a major project... but I live in Western Australia and there is never anything around like this.

18 minutes ago, Guido said:

I’d love to find this scenario and saving an old cello as a major project... but I live in Western Australia and there is never anything around like this.

Australia is an exciting place. You will find many things there, but maybe not a lot of cellos.

39 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

You can find smashed in Saxon celli everywhere on the planet

Been looking for about a year, even tried ‘wanted’ ads in the local classifieds. They don’t make the journey as easily as violins to this most remote city in the world I live in.

6 hours ago, Guido said:

Been looking for about a year, even tried ‘wanted’ ads in the local classifieds. They don’t make the journey as easily as violins to this most remote city in the world I live in.

Maybe @jacobsaunders will send you one from his iconic dustbin. :D

3 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Hi folks, already spoken for. Thanks for the interest!

Hopefully we can get a restoration thread detailing the process of bringing it back to life.

4 hours ago, BassClef said:

Hopefully we can get a restoration thread detailing the process of bringing it back to life.

Yes absolutely. I have a thing about redemption, and I really hate throwing stuff away unless it’s beyond hope, so I’m happy this cello will go to someone who can put it back together

Edited by PhilipKT
Grammar

5 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

If you are (mis)using the forum to market all of your old cello corpses, you might get a cross PM from Jeffrey

No, he's just using it to keep recyclables out of his dustbin (and fireplace as well).  You might consider doing likewise.  :ph34r::D

7 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

If you are (mis)using the forum to market all of your old cello corpses, you might get a cross PM from Jeffrey

If you consider “free” to be marketing, then you probably need to take a marketing class. I do not know what worthwhile things have made it into your rubbish heap But I am glad that this instrument is going to have a chance for a better life.

10 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

If you consider “free” to be marketing, then you probably need to take a marketing class. 

In that case, you are surely the one in need of a marketing class:)

9 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Philip also uses this site to authenticate a lot of bows.  Makes me wonder if he is in the bow business.

Mike D

50 minutes ago, Mike_Danielson said:

Philip also uses this site to authenticate a lot of bows.  Makes me wonder if he is in the bow business.

Mike D

Nah. The bows I share lately don’t even belong to me, although they are shared with permission.

if I were in the business of selling, I  sure wouldn’t be giving cellos away for free.

And if I were in the bow business, I guarantee you I would know a lot more than I do, which currently is approximately nothing

At first, I was also interested in the topic for free. Next, after reading the comments about free beer, I was even more interested in it!

I think Satan played it. I haven't seen anything like it, so I can't answer that. You tried to contact those who are engaged in the restoration of such models. I think they would have helped me determine.