Sign in to follow this  
Casos

The Secrets of Stradavari - Sacconi

I have the book The Secrets of Stradavari by Simone F. Sacconi that I would like to sell. It is the Cremona 2000 Edition. It is in excellent like new condition. There is one tiny mark on the book cover. I can attach photos or send to you directly if you are interested.  I see it selling for $500 and that is what I paid but I'm willing to sell for $350.  Or asking for any help as to where I should try to sell this. 

Edited by Casos

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, RobS said:

What's the difference between your edition and the one listed for $170 US at https://www.cremonatools.com/the-secrets-of-stradivari-s-f-sacconi.html ?

The difference between them is that many anecdotes and stories and facts are missing. I know because the original was in the William Brown Library, in Liverpool. I read it and he really knew alot about Stradivari's homes and quoted from certain people who where around. Such as The Bergonsi family, and other sources like parish record office paperwork he was very happy to quote apparently ver batum, regarding the sad, criminal act of his remains being egsumed from The Catholic church, can't remember the name, for heresy, because he was not a good, in that parish's eyes, man, so also about his time in Florence, and the place catching fire the roof, and him being burnt very severely, trying to save his varnished instruments, also his children and wife receiving burns, some first degree burns, as the roof top was of thatch, he says that Stradivari lost a child to that fire. And saved most of ninety or so instruments.

I should have kept that book as the wisdom and unscrupulous behaviour of our library of rare documents suffered from exploitation too.

poor Stradivari He was convinced I read, also of Stradivari's infamous ground, was obsessed with his belief it was albumen, animal fat and mineral ground to seal the pores, stiffen the wood and honey was mentioned but he was not sure enough as he became rather confused at times over specifics, regarding the use of fish glue, and then he was more confusing regarding templates of various dimensions so, well, I should like to see that original reprinted book, as he seems to believe that Stradivari was a double edged character. He was convinced that he was not treated fairly by his fraternity, nor the Florence influences and the woods, and practices he used, in build quality, Sacconi desperately hangs his hat with as to Stradivari's singularly perfectionism in every detail of everything that made those Florentine instruments thicknesses breadth and depth, of the quality which was made so very very highest level craftpersonship.

A Good read. I'd say, Saconni knew maybe the most about the man.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:32 PM, morgana said:

... regarding the sad, criminal act of his remains being exhumed from The Catholic church, can't remember the name, for heresy, because he was not a good, in that parish's eyes, man...

So the Inquisitori Cremonensis found out Stradivari's Secret? He was Jewish?