El Duce

Violin Bow i/D & Cleaning question

Intrigued with this small violin bow measuring 69 cms - plus I am wondering how to clean the thread lapping. The backplate looks like it has two pins with one being placed off centre that I have not seen before. The adjuster is frozen so I will get some Coke in at some point... I am assuming this is German but I am wondering if it could possibly be French with a later German adjuster..be interested to hear thoughts. Thanks.

PC041226.JPG

PC041227.JPG

PC041228.JPG

PC041229.JPG

PC041230.JPG

PC041231.JPG

PC041233.JPG

PC041234.JPG

40 minutes ago, sospiri said:

Nice photos showing the Pernambuco cell walls. What camera are you using?

Thanks. Just a little Olympus TG-5 that's good for the beach ...and photographing bows :D

My camera is useless for close ups, but great for picking out buildings 30 miles away. It's really weird to look across 30 miles of landscape from the top of a hill down to a distant town and everything in between.

I do like to see those cell rings in a bow photo. I would also like to know the answer to your question about cleaning the lapping on old bows.

2 hours ago, sospiri said:

My camera is useless for close ups, but great for picking out buildings 30 miles away. It's really weird to look across 30 miles of landscape from the top of a hill down to a distant town and everything in between.

I do like to see those cell rings in a bow photo. I would also like to know the answer to your question about cleaning the lapping on old bows.

Where are the cell rings? I’m not sure what to look at.

If the frog mounts are silver and the one left adjuster ring nickel as it appears to be the latter isn't original. Could be well french IMO.

For cleaning the lapping you can try a small lot of dish cleaner or hair shampoo with water applied with a brush and pat it carefully with a paper towel.

3 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

The cross grain wavy structure. I would call it reticular rays, but not sure if it's the right english word.:huh:

Edit: It were medullary rays I had in mind.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:13 PM, PhilipKT said:

The lines running vertically down the head in these photos. They also appear as rings around the stick about half a millimetre or less apart, so you may need your extra strength reading glasses to see them. Abeille wood doesn't have this feature.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:31 PM, El Duce said:

Intrigued with this small violin bow measuring 69 cms - plus I am wondering how to clean the thread lapping. The backplate looks like it has two pins with one being placed off centre that I have not seen before. The adjuster is frozen so I will get some Coke in at some point... I am assuming this is German but I am wondering if it could possibly be French with a later German adjuster..be interested to hear thoughts. Thanks.

PC041226.JPG

PC041227.JPG

PC041231.JPG

On 12/4/2019 at 6:46 AM, sospiri said:

Nice photos showing the Pernambuco cell walls. What camera are you using?

Can you show a photograph of what you’re describing? I see the lighter colored streaks in the wood, which I realize is the grain. Lignine Is the hardwood and cellulose is the softer wood But I’m not sure what you are referring to when you speak of the cells.

19 hours ago, martin swan said:

Nor does a great deal of pernambuco ...

Put your extra strength reading glasses on and use bright light.

18 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Can you show a photograph of what you’re describing? I see the lighter colored streaks in the wood, which I realize is the grain. Lignine Is the hardwood and cellulose is the softer wood But I’m not sure what you are referring to when you speak of the cells.

El Duce's photos show them above about half a millimetre wide in the head of his stick.

I believe the technical term is  Procumbent ray parenchyma cells, which are radial, that is at 90 degrees to the grain. So where the grain changes direction along the stick they remain at right angles to that change of direction.