Sign in to follow this  
keyboardclass

Brompton complaint

I bought it because it sounded ok and I could always sell it when I upgrade.  Obviously the latter is now pretty unlikely as how do I convince someone it's only 'minor repairs to top' ?

42 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

The dynamic of this thread has turned a little weird.  What's with all the support for lazy (I'm assuming not dishonest!?) auction staff?

You are buying at auction but expecting a violin shop level of service and disclosure.

If I look at anything  in the current Bromptons sale and consult the condition report, I immediately see a pop-up disclaimer.

As professionals we all realise that it’s up to us to inspect the merchandise and we put a lot of effort into this.

I think you should put this one down to experience and move on ... 

Violin shop level???  No, just the service I can expect from what I find to be a hefty commission.  You have to ask why do they say anything about the goods if what they say is totally bogus?  And don't for a moment think they can just hang up a shingle and be exempt from the sale of goods act!

'

6 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

Violin shop level???  No, just the service I can expect from what I find to be a hefty commission.  You have to ask why do they say anything about the goods if what they say is totally bogus?  And don't for a moment think they can just hang up a shingle and be exempt from the sale of goods act!

'

It’s up to you to satisfy yourself as to the condition of a violin at auction before you buy it.

A dealer is just going to shrug his shoulders and wonder why you weren’t prepared to shell out a bit or even a lot more for a fully restored N&H with a clean 2 piece top and a satisfaction guarantee.

And a 14 day trial

And a 100% trade in policy if you really shop around ...

2 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

So Martin, you don't see Bromptons at fault at all?  That says a lot.

We buy at auction from time to time like most dealers.

I like the people at Bromptons, I don’t believe they are trying to rip you off, but it’s your responsibility to view the item and they make that very clear.

You seem to want to benefit from the cheapness of auction items without putting in the work. Any photo of this violin, never mind a well lit super-expandable Bromptons photo, would reveal all the problems immediately.

So what does that say about me exactly?

13 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

To report that it's been repaired when it hadn't is totally misleading.

It has been repaired, just very badly.

I'm sorry it hasn't turned out to be a good buy for you.

6 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

I bought it because it sounded ok and I could always sell it when I upgrade.  Obviously the latter is now pretty unlikely as how do I convince someone it's only 'minor repairs to top' ?

"it sounded okay'' do you mean from its written description or you actually tried it?

Is this it?  

https://www.bromptons.co/auction/13th-29th-may-2019/lots/131-a-german-viola-by-neuner-and-hornsteiner-mittenwald-circa-1870.html

I wouldn't call that a minor repair as the condition report states, but I've learned from experience that the standard response to questioning a written description is that "the photographs are part of the description".   

7 hours ago, martin swan said:

It’s up to you to satisfy yourself as to the condition of a violin at auction before you buy it.

A dealer is just going to shrug his shoulders and wonder why you weren’t prepared to shell out a bit or even a lot more for a fully restored N&H with a clean 2 piece top and a satisfaction guarantee.

And a 14 day trial

And a 100% trade in policy if you really shop around ...

Martin if you were in Texas I would spend a lot of time at your shop. Auctions have a purpose I guess but an honest shop is always better.

4 hours ago, reepicheep said:

Is this it?  

https://www.bromptons.co/auction/13th-29th-may-2019/lots/131-a-german-viola-by-neuner-and-hornsteiner-mittenwald-circa-1870.html

I wouldn't call that a minor repair as the condition report states, but I've learned from experience that the standard response to questioning a written description is that "the photographs are part of the description".   

Indeed. Number of bids 2, which tells it’s own story.
The estimated prices should never be taken as a guide to a true value either.

7 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Indeed. Number of bids 2, which tells it’s own story.
The estimated prices should never be taken as a guide to a true value either.

You'd think the reserve price (£800) said something as well.  I disagree with the posters who think Bomptons can legally (not even getting on to morally) wash their hands of it.  Treating punters off the street poorly may be good for dealers but it's not a good busines model.  You think just replying to emails would be a minimum .

I once consigned a Jan Basta violin to another auction house and was slightly shocked when the description didn't even mention that the whole head had once broken off in mid-neck! I was quite pleased with the price it raised though...

41 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

You'd think the reserve price (£800) said something as well.  I disagree with the posters who think Bomptons can legally (not even getting on to morally) wash their hands of it.  Treating punters off the street poorly may be good for dealers but it's not a good busines model.  You think just replying to emails would be a minimum .

The reserve price is set by the owner, not the auctioneer. That being the case, reserve prices can be totally unrealistic, and not reflect a true value.

In several of your posts you have the attitude that dealers are prone to ripping off customers, are untrustworthy and do not care. I find this quite a poor stance, although it seems to be a standard view on another popular violin forum too. 

I agree that your email should have been replied to and not ignored, if that is the case.

No, I'm saying it's good for dealers if off the street punters are scared away from auctions.  It seems a constant trope here.  I've nothing against them but I think that fact colours their posts.

I played a couple of notes on it.  I saw it was scruffy but that doesn't bother me.  It's only when I got it home I saw the state of it.  Again I believed the condition report and for that I seem to be labeled naive.

6 hours ago, reepicheep said:

What I can see from the photo is a belly made of three pieces from the start, not a later added piece of wood or "repair". An 800 GBP price plus premium for a medium sized Neuner and Hornsteiner viola in need of some hundreds for further repairs appears to be still very fair in my eyes. (I have no cards in this game BTW).