keyboardclass

name this instrument?

2 hours ago, violinnewb said:

I have several different types of dulcimers.  That is where I started my search from.  Let us know what this one sounds like! I'm interested.

I for one would love to see pictures. I remember an old woman on the streets of New Orleans playing a hammered dulcimer. It was a humid day in May, and I’m not sure how she kept her instrument in tune, but her playing was mesmerizing. 

4 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I remember an old woman on the streets of New Orleans playing a hammered dulcimer.

The hammered dulcimer is an entirely different instrument, similar only in that it is also technically in the zither family of stringed instruments, but so is the piano.  The hammered dulcimer as we know it is a descendant of the Persian santur, which went East and became yang qin in China, and came West as the cimbalom in Eastern Europe.  Pantaleon, a court musician in Dresden c.1700, made a name for himself (and his massive 9ft santur called the... "Pantaleon," of course) with an instrument of this sort, which may or may not have inspired Cristofori to make the first pianoforte.

18 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I for one would love to see pictures. I remember an old woman on the streets of New Orleans playing a hammered dulcimer. It was a humid day in May, and I’m not sure how she kept her instrument in tune, but her playing was mesmerizing. 

Next time i visit my family home for the holidays, I will take pictures of a couple.  I have a weird triangular hammered dulcimer that is quite big.  it has a bridge in the middle and can be played on both sides of the bridge.  Have never figured out how to play it. 

3 hours ago, violinnewb said:

Next time i visit my family home for the holidays, I will take pictures of a couple.  I have a weird triangular hammered dulcimer that is quite big.  it has a bridge in the middle and can be played on both sides of the bridge.  Have never figured out how to play it. 

The smaller trapezoidal ones I'm familiar with have two bridges, one sort of in the middle dividing the strings into 1/3 and 2/3.

The other bridge is all the way to one side and carries the bass strings, which continue and pass through openings in the mid bridge.

It took me an hour to figure out how to tune it.  Had to use a skate board tool (hex wrench) and still couldn't get it right.

No. I take that back.  It wasn't a hex wrench.  It was some tool my uncle gave me with the dulcimer.