Sign in to follow this  
Byrdbop

Is this one of the pricier Chinese bows?

I wonder if anyone here would admit to being expert in Chinese bows so I'll have a go. Although the wood is somewhat darker and less well finished it's very similar to my "Sartory copy" from Yitamusic which cost about £130. I find I'm using it more and more for weight and sonority (the hair is pretty good too) but bows for me aren't much more than hairy sticks

1 hour ago, matesic said:

I wonder if anyone here would admit to being expert in Chinese bows so I'll have a go. Although the wood is somewhat darker and less well finished it's very similar to my "Sartory copy" from Yitamusic which cost about £130. I find I'm using it more and more for weight and sonority (the hair is pretty good too) but bows for me aren't much more than hairy sticks

Pics are somewhat underexposed.  Stick is lighter.  I find myself using this a lot too for same reasons however hair is a tad scratchy irrespective of how much rosin is applied. 

3 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

I don't think so, no. Looks very much like standard issue Chinese violin outfit bow.

Do they tend to be made of pernambuco as this one seems to be?  It's also very neatly finished.  My pics don't do it justice. 

IMG_20191201_095330.jpg

the last pic shows the cell structure well.  besides being seen in some expensive bows, that is common in low end brazillian bows, but not chinese in my limited experience.  the tip plate shows remains of colored finish that would be cleaned up in a higher end bow.  kind of chunky appearance, but if it works it works.

16 hours ago, Byrdbop said:

Do they tend to be made of pernambuco as this one seems to be?  It's also very neatly finished.  My pics don't do it justice. 

IMG_20191201_095330.jpg

Yes the bow of student standard upward (even less than $50 in some cases) are Pernambuco or Brazilwood Pernambuco. They grade the wood very carefully and they have a good stash of it.

Only the very cheapest beginner bows are made of Sappanwood and we're talking $15 or thereabouts.

For the best ones, smooth straight and very tight grain and high density over 1.0 I would expect to pay $300-500, but since I already have one of these made 20 years ago, I would rather ask other posters for their experience before I buy a new one.