Sign in to follow this  
nplusplus

Curious plate with large upper bout

Hi all , 

I’m wondering if any of you have any insight on this plate. I’m mostly curious because of the unusually large upper bout at 173mm (looks like it might have been 174-ish originally). The other measurements seem pretty typical at 108 center, 204 lower bout and 355 length (over arch to the remaining top corners). I only have the plate. Thoughts?

The handwritten note on the inside is from a previous repairer. It reads: “New bass bar and repairs by A. R. Swearingen Miami Fla 3/1926”

I’ve been getting started making my first violin and I ended up with this as part of a lot of other items from someone who had apparently purchased them from a luthier’s estate and was reselling them.

857DA4D7-A0B8-4BFE-88E0-04E81C2876E9.jpeg

8EDC9D54-C2EE-4429-96D4-382B5CD9238F.jpeg

It`s interesting how such a small size increment can make the upper bouts look so bulbous. Something like this plate is good to learn from, but don`t copy it. Rather stick to a good set of measurements or known model for your first build. If you don`t have this already, then try looking at  (http://www.makingtheviolin.com), it`s free and full of helpful info.

It would seem that you have a very nice Austrian violin belly from the first part of the 18th C. A great shame of course that the rest of the fiddle is missing. I would respectfully totally disagree with the previous poster. If you wish to make a new violin, you could not do better than to keep it on your table all the time, and use it as reference and an inspiration.

42 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

It would seem that you have a very nice Austrian violin belly from the first part of the 18th C.

Could you work out this a bit more detailed? It would be very interesting to know which features are Austrian early 18th century in your eyes.

The only reference I have at hand is the Köghl you once posted.

post-24603-0-97992900-1366856983.jpg

The OP’s top looks like it was imitating the flat edge On the underside of a Stainer.

That Köghl looks familiar - what is the LOB?

34 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Could you work out this a bit more detailed? It would be very interesting to know which features are Austrian early 18th century in your eyes.

The only reference I have at hand is the Köghl you once posted.

post-24603-0-97992900-1366856983.jpg

Yes, My first thought was Daniel Acatius Stadlmann, but with only the belly one would have to be nuts to get too specific

10 minutes ago, Three13 said:

The OP’s top looks like it was imitating the flat edge On the underside of a Stainer.

That Köghl looks familiar - what is the LOB?

You can read about the Kögl violin here

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/328309-hanns-khogl-violin-1680/&do=findComment&comment=584036

I’ve been reading that - the reason I asked about the LOB on the Kögl is that I recently posted a violin that’s reminiscent to it, although it’s short (348-mm) LOB had me thinking it was English.

4 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

you could not do better than to keep it on your table all the time, and use it as reference and an inspiration.

Lol good line 

6 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Yes, My first thought was Daniel Acatius Stadlmann, but with only the belly one would have to be nuts to get too specific

What's obviously similar are the "optical" illusion that both upper and lower bouts are of the same width and the ff nicks with apparently narrow stems.

19 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I would respectfully totally disagree with the previous poster. If you wish to make a new violin, you could not do better than to keep it on your table all the time, and use it as reference and an inspiration.

Yeah whatever man. Having only one piece without the rest of the measurements will drive a new builder crazy. But as I said, its good to learn from.....

Thanks all. I have it hanging on the wall in my shop, but I definitely wasn't planning to copy it. I started by making a mold based on the Strad PG form for my first build.