Sign in to follow this  
Violinist1828

Violin from estate sale

Has an open soundpost crack ,a saddle crack and 2 other cracks just on a cursory look.

Maybe Lyndon might think it worth fixing ( and be affordable) , but most shops wouldn't , I think.

Maybe  VdA has an idea what to do.

The cucumber shaped area of disturbed varnish surrounding the sound post crack is heinous. Almost as if a disease has spread from the open and infected wound. How much did you buy it for?

On 11/29/2019 at 3:25 PM, PhilipKT said:

And it has a soundpost crack too.

but it might be worth restoring, if that crack has been properly repaired.

Does it have a bow?

Lol...if it does, that will make it all better! ^_^

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Lol...if it does, that will make it all better! ^_^

Well, I seem to be a minority of one, but I think that with a bit of work it can be a very nice Violin, and if it has a bow, well… It will be a very nice violin with a bow.

Here’s hoping the bow does not have a sound post crack.

22 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Well, I seem to be a minority of one, but I think that with a bit of work it can be a very nice Violin, and if it has a bow, well… It will be a very nice violin with a bow.

Here’s hoping the bow does not have a sound post crack.

Okay...I don't want to belabor but I'm curious as to what you're seeing that I'm not. :ph34r:

I see a violin that likely wasn't great to begin with, that needs a great deal of work - and likely still won't sound great and/or be of value - and if comes with a cheap bow too - well, two cheaps don't make a bird that can fly.

I was thinking something else entirely.

I'm sure you were. :mellow:

Soooooo...when's the turkey ready?

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Okay...I don't want to belabor but I'm curious as to what you're seeing that I'm not. :ph34r:

I see a violin that likely wasn't great to begin with, that needs a great deal of work - and likely still won't sound great and/or be of value - and if comes with a cheap bow too - well, two cheaps don't make a bird that can fly.

Well, I have no idea what I’m seeing, and I certainly don’t consider myself to be any judge of anything. But to me the wood looks nice, the varnish looks nice, the workmanship looks nice, the damage does not look nice, but it looks like it’s worth fixing. 

I recently bought, for nothing, or close to it, a rather neglected Juzek viola From the 50s or thereabouts. It had some cracks that require the top off, one of the ears of the scroll was broken off, It required varnish touch up in multiple areas, And the repairs ended up being about five times what I paid for the instrument.

But when I was finished, I ended up with a very nice sounding, very attractive, and very serviceable old viola from the 1950s, which I was able to sell for all my investment, plus a wee bit to put by fer me old age.

This Violin looks like it’s worth saving, but I don’t pretend that I know anything.