JacksonMaberry

Branding Bridges - why we stamp them, when it started

34 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

If I come across a masterly cut bridge without stamp I wonder if the stamp has been erased or the maker of the bridge didn't want to tell anyone. 

It's an opportunity to put your own stamp on the bridge. ;)

3 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

If customers get fussy about the blank, the brand, how it's cut, I gently slide them off to a Burger King, where they do it your way, since they didn't come to me because they want what I do. Think of it as asking for the salt and ketchup in a fine restaurant. 

Well said. spacer.png

7 hours ago, sospiri said:

What is inferior material? Surely Michael was joking about the $tripe$??? The point being that prominent medullary rays on very expen$ive blank$ look pretty but don't improve the sound?

Soft wood. 

19 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Soft wood. 

Soft wood, wood with overly wide grain, wood with overly narrow grain, wood with irregular growth, wood where the grain runs off the quarter ...

4 hours ago, martin swan said:

Soft wood, wood with overly wide grain, wood with overly narrow grain, wood with irregular growth, wood where the grain runs off the quarter ...

Wouldn't include 'overly narrow'. Usually this stuff is dense and a bit heavy, but solid. So you can work around the disadvantage by making the bridge slightly thinner with slightly bigger openings. 

Irregular growth is a kind of so so. Sometimes there are, for what reason ever, good blanks with irregular growth. Off quarter is by far worse.