Sign in to follow this  
Dom40

Violin id.

1 hour ago, Dom40 said:

This is why I’m confused. Plus the other people from England that said it was french. And the fact that I haven’t come across to many violins like this from Mittenwald in my 12 months of experience. The table is usually fine grained spruce is it not? I’m not saying that it’s not German I’m just trying to make sure it’s not french. Also the varnish is typical of pre 1800 french is it not? 

Mittenwald Verleger violins of the 19th century are very often made from wide grain spruce, especially when being one piece. The fine grain dogma might more apply to the pre 1800s, but not always.

The red crackled Mittenwald 19th century varnish was discussed here recently in some threads, can be confused easily with some French (or is just the same or similar).

I'm just guessing that they aren't that experienced with Mittenwald making in France, they were having always enough Mirecourt products at hand and didn't need to import others from the "ecole d'est".

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

Mittenwald Verleger violins of the 19th century are very often made from wide grain spruce, especially when being one piece. The fine grain dogma might more apply to the pre 1800s, but not always.

The red crackled Mittenwald 19th century varnish was discussed here recently in some threads, can be confused easily with some French (or is just the same or similar).

I'm just guessing that they aren't that experienced with Mittenwald making in France, they were having always enough Mirecourt products at hand and didn't need to import others from the "ecole d'est".

Thank you that’s most helpful il remember that. 

653C62B9-3636-407C-B225-9CD76D164500.jpeg

Dom, if you look at the shoulders all the way down to the upper corners you see that this violin is distinctly different in shape from a Pique.

That part looks more "German" -- maybe one should say "Habsburgian" ---  to me. But what do I know. 

15 minutes ago, hendrik said:

Yes there is a Mittenwald saddle but I feel the violin is French and quite close to françois-louis pique. I’m taking it to Paris for certification. I really love the one piece table and back such beautiful wood. The backs not pinned and the eye of the scroll is confusing me. What do you all think Mittenwald or Paris? Would you agree that the violin is circa 1790? Thanks all 

653C62B9-3636-407C-B225-9CD76D164500.jpeg

Dom, if you look at the shoulders all the way down to the upper corners you see that this violin is distinctly different in shape from a Pique.

That part looks more "German" -- maybe one should say "Habsburgian" ---  to me. But what do I know. 

Let me send you a picture. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. 

5 minutes ago, Dom40 said:

Let me send you a picture. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. 

Here is the back as well

BF7A9935-871A-4349-B949-16E98095A7B2.jpeg

Compare with a Pique from Martin's site:

Exit

sr19pique-violin-back.jpg

13 minutes ago, hendrik said:

Here is the back as well

BF7A9935-871A-4349-B949-16E98095A7B2.jpeg

Compare with a Pique from Martin's site:

Exit

sr19pique-violin-back.jpg

Yes I see what your getting at. But compare the two I sent you. 

10 minutes ago, hendrik said:

"Habsburgian" as you can see this outline in instruments from - present day- Austria as well. 

Ok great il have a look. Thanks Hendrick.