Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Help. Good place to buy strings?

Concord Music seems to have some types that others don’t (Thomasik Infeld Rondo, Warchal, etc). Hard to beat Shar right now with everything 25% off, but I’m sure many of the other large online retailers have sales right now also. This is a good time of year to stock up when the retailers have big discounts.

15 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

Weinkrantz was Shar south when I was a kid.  Situated in the Republic of Texas, much like yourself.  They were the two mail order biggies as far as I knew.  Looks like they might have moved to Californy back in '77.

https://weinkrantzmusicwarehouse.com/

I remember Phil Weinkrantz well, first time I met him was in his shop on Dickason in the Oak Lawn area, (1976-ish)right across the street from Whittle’s music: a tiny little shop where are my father bought me my first cello bow.

I've bought strings from Quinn Violins also, and they are good. Once you are a customer, they sometimes send out promo codes for better discounts. 

I usually buy my strings from viola-strings.com - great prices, free shipping on orders over $40, and great selection. They have a "sister" site cello-strings.com

Warchal strings are also available directly, via warchal.com. If you register, they're half price for the first set of a given type, which makes experimentation a lot less painful.