Sign in to follow this  
Stephen  Fine

Beethoven - Violin Sonata No. 10 in G, op. 96

Seeking recordings of op. 96.  Practicing it for a concert next month.

I'm listening to Rosand/Fissler now.  I also like Menuhin/Gould and Grumiaux/Haskil.

I'll write more and post a recording if a good one comes out of it.  At the moment, I'm just enjoying how easy violin is compared to viola.

It's a beautiful piece, my favorite LvB sonata,  and virtually every recording by a first class violinist is bound to be special.

Personally I usually reach for Francescatti.

One problem with some recordings may be that Beethoven (just like Bach) used to be regarded as the composer for grand last statements by renowned performers, by the time their technique was giving out. I mean Beethoven was deaf, so he wouldn't be offended? There is the Menuhin - Kempff recording as an instance, and the above linked Robert Mann live performance, which evinces a lot of intonation insecurity plagueing Mann's playing for the last twenty (!) performing years.

On 11/27/2019 at 5:42 PM, gowan said:

I like the recording by Gidon Kremer and Martha Argerich.  To me this performance has more expressivity and character than many others. 

Oooh la la.