Sign in to follow this  
Byrdbop

I love it. It has a history. What's the best option re re-varnishing in order to protect it?

I have no idea when or where my violin was made.  Someone has seemingly stripped it, lightly re-varnished and then puzzlingly the top has the varnish roughly scraped off leaving little or no protection.  It cost me less than a 3 course meal and I would have to spend a great deal more for one of equal sound quality.   I know it has no comercial value and I don't care.  What is it?  What is the best option for a re-varnish? 

IMG_20191122_202739.jpg

IMG_20191122_201812.jpg

IMG_20191122_202411.jpg

IMG_20191122_201848.jpg

IMG_20191124_133527.jpg

The usual signs of a violin having been „stripped“ are that one can find end grain areas, where the original colour has soaked in, or inaccessible bits, like the corners of the ribs, the windings of the scroll etc. that have original lack residue. I can’t find any such areas on your fiddle, and can’t see why you think it has been stripped. Best option would be to leave it alone, or pay a more sumptuous meal for a fiddle who’s colour you like

15 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The usual signs of a violin having been „stripped“ are that one can find end grain areas, where the original colour has soaked in, or inaccessible bits, like the corners of the ribs, the windings of the scroll etc. that have original lack residue. I can’t find any such areas on your fiddle, and can’t see why you think it has been stripped. Best option would be to leave it alone, or pay a more sumptuous meal for a fiddle who’s colour you like

Thanks Jacob.  I have simple culinary requirements. It's difficult to show how roughly the top was treated.  Varnish scraped off down to the ground.  Perplexing.  See added pics for remnants of original varnish. 

IMG_20191124_142417.jpg

IMG_20191124_142359.jpg

IMG_20191124_142338.jpg

9 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The varnish certainly highlights the nice Markneukirchen purfling. I could imagine polishing it a bit, but would quickly find many more rewarding projects

Could you recommend a good polish? Something that will protect the wood from knocks, moisture etc?  I'd be happy to leave it at that. 

For instance;

Take an old ketchup or salad Dressing etc. bottle.

One inch of lemon schellack

One inch of sanderac

teaspoon of Elemi

about 2 inches of spirit

leave it on the window sill for about a fortnight

filter through a nylon stocking

polish with a rag with a little mineral oil

16 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

For instance;

Take an old ketchup or salad Dressing etc. bottle.

One inch of lemon schellack

One inch of sanderac

teaspoon of Elemi

about 2 inches of spirit

leave it on the window sill for about a fortnight

filter through a nylon stocking

polish with a rag with a little mineral oil

Many thanks

Clean the violin completely by using an 80% water 20% denatured alcohol solution, be very sparing with the use of liquid, apply the solution sparingly to a cloth, and use a dry damp cloth to clean the surface best possible, paying special attention to nooks and crannies  

allow to dry completely  

using a cheap "chip" boars hair brush apply one thin coat of wax free shellac ,preferably amber to add some color to hide/blend the areas where old varnish is showing.....this can be obtained in the states at paint stores in a can called "zinnser SEAL COAT"  or purchased online at various places in flake form, which you then add alc to create the solution.

make sure you wash and pull the hair on the brush before you use it to shed any loose hair

allow to dry overnight

buy one small jar of Joe Robson Amber varnish and apply 1 coat to the entire instrument ontop of the shellac...*

allow to dry{1 week with UV light}, use pumice, rottenstone with paraffin rubbing oil to rub out and "finish" the finish

if done properly this will give the instrument a lifetime finish that will protect and add luster

* if you get to this point and need help with application feel free to ask and or Joe is very helpful with instructions for application 

Greetings Maestros.

Can you suggest a varnish to fill in some small chips in the back of my red-brown Markneukirchen violin. Oil varnish? Spirit varnish? Colouring material.

Rolf