Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Another Violin from the pile, thoughts solicited, please

1 hour ago, Bill Merkel said:

i see clear varnish over wear and damage, so it looks revarnished to me.

I totally agree!

And ---- " the person who owned all these instruments was famous for doing exactly that."

40 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

i saw that too :).  i think the label could be useful with this one.

I will have to check the violin again, but I think it is a fake Strad label. I will see if I can get interior shots

I don't see what everyone else is seeing. It seems to me to be a violin in very good condition which has had "a coat of clear" ie. an absolutely standard American glossy French polish.

Not stripped or revarnished.

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

I don't see what everyone else is seeing. It seems to me to be a violin in very good condition which has had "a coat of clear" ie. an absolutely standard American glossy French polish.

Not stripped or revarnished.

I think the technical term is Moenninged :-)

11 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Haha yes, but many other shops did/do it too ...

Martin, any idea what it is?

By the way, I read your article on Tubbs with great pleasure, And it just so happens that one of my Young students who is now a freshman at MIT is home for Thanksgiving. He just bought a cello from carriage House Violins, And I told him he needed a new bow as well. I looked over the website and low and behold, they’ve got a Tubbs on offer...”call for price.”

I told my young student to brace himself and call for the price. He’s good enough for a bow like that.

15 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Martin, any idea what it is?

By the way, I read your article on Tubbs with great pleasure, And it just so happens that one of my Young students who is now a freshman at MIT is home for Thanksgiving. He just bought a cello from carriage House Violins, And I told him he needed a new bow as well. I looked over the website and low and behold, they’ve got a Tubbs on offer...”call for price.”

I told my young student to brace himself and call for the price. He’s good enough for a bow like that.

Well we know the Tubbs cello bow is between $20k and 35k which seems about right. Though for a later model I think you'd want it to be much closer to $20k than $35k!

43 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Well we know the Tubbs cello bow is between $20k and 35k which seems about right. Though for a later model I think you'd want it to be much closer to $20k than $35k!

Thank you.  He’s a good enough cellist to warrant such a bow, but I was hoping something in the mid to high teens. I guess I’m just avoiding reality. Anyway, about the violin? It’s not mine, but the owner did want me to share these photos and ask.