Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Re: Curtis

Clearly the only thing I've missed over the last week is more of Stephen Fine's ad hominem attacks. One might expect a college professor to know better how to further his argument, but apparently he slept thru that lesson in viola school.

6 minutes ago, AtlVcl said:

Clearly the only thing I've missed over the last week is more of Stephen Fine's ad hominem attacks. One might expect a college professor to know better how to further his argument, but it seems  he must have slept thru that lesson in viola school.

1 hour ago, AtlVcl said:

Clearly the only thing I've missed over the last week is more of Stephen Fine's ad hominem attacks. One might expect a college professor to know better how to further his argument, but apparently he slept thru that lesson in viola school.

Well you turned up at school assembly with no pants on. You can’t expect people not to point ...

On 11/24/2019 at 4:22 PM, martin swan said:

Libertarianism is great, look where it got us.

It's fine if you're strong, fit, male, comfortably off, and white, but as a philosophy it all falls apart when someone stronger and fitter steals your stuff, or when you get dementia and need state care.

I think it suits the vanity of a lot of entitled white male silverbacks to think that the law of the jungle would work fine for them and fuck everyone else, but they forget about all the poisonous snakes and they certainly haven't factored in deforestation ...

Maybe you want at look at ALL this and specially at 16:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZTWBB26Cw

The type like "false claims / accusation of sexual assault / rape in youtube and see how things look like. Please do it ! Now we all know that nothing is perfect but to be arrested and trialed for sexual assault after brushing past a woman in a station can be a bit much :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXaYxu0v3pM

It is understandable that some men treat some sexual assault accusations with suspition. Clear we can nit trust each and every woman blindly. There are bad apples on both sides.

17 minutes ago, VicM said:

Maybe you want at look at ALL this and specially at 16:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZTWBB26Cw

The type like "false claims / accusation of sexual assault / rape in youtube and see how things look like. Please do it ! Now we all know that nothing is perfect but to be arrested and trialed for sexual assault after brushing past a woman in a station can be a bit much :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXaYxu0v3pM

It is understandable that some men treat some sexual assault accusations with suspition. Clear we can nit trust each and every woman blindly. There are bad apples on both sides.

We are talking about Lara St. John and the slurs against her. You think after reading all the responsible coverage and Curtis’s own press statements that she’s a bad apple? Or “anything in a skirt”?

27 minutes ago, martin swan said:

We are talking about Lara St. John and the slurs against her. You think after reading all the responsible coverage and Curtis’s own press statements that she’s a bad apple? Or “anything in a skirt”?

I do not think she's a bad apple or "anything in a skirt". Why do you ask that ???? My post to you was related to your post that I quoted. Not to your post to atlvcl.

Again, I am not a sociologist, but there is a motherlode of information in this and in other posts that would supply many an erudite paper.

Some takeaways:

Avoid generalities.

Avoid Hyperbole, Sarcasm, innuendo, and use the “reasonable man” logic when speaking or listening. Some people instantly claim that a comment is racist or sexist, causing a digression that is unproductive and unnecessary.

Remember it’s not just the speaker, but listener as well. We have to do our best to understand what was intended, instead of reading something into the comment to suit our own expectations.

If you are not sure you have understood correctly, ask for clarification in a non-contentious way.

Discuss only the pertinent case. It doesn’t matter what others do or don’t, what matters is this particular situation and none other.

I thank you both, Philip and Stephen.  Sometimes, I have to take a step back and breathe because I become so frustrated and amazed at some of the arguments made...especially here where I incorrectly assumed my colleagues in the fine arts were a cut above the rest.  Please don't take that to mean most of you are not.  This forum is wonderful.

Perhaps it's worthwhile to keep in mind that at least half of the violin playing world consists of women, young and old, if not more than half.

So. with talk about "anything in a skirt" and the presumption that women lie more than men (I believe the current USA president, a man, has told more than 10.000 attested lies in three years, and we're still counting) you're not helping the profession. You're alienating a large part of the clientele.

A great deal of this type of discussion is based on perceived versus real.

Recently, a 22-year old university student, diagnosed with a treatable cancer, declined treatment because of the global warming "crisis".  "Why bother if the world is going to end in 10 years anyway?"

My cousin, was about 21 when he had a vasectomy.  "Why bring more children into this world, it's not going to last much longer with all that's going on!".  That was 1983.

A paper was just published on the increased rate of suicide of white males, because of their perceived loss, or upcoming loss, of social status due to growing racial equality.   This is so sad, on so many levels.

I wish I had some sociology in my background.  I just don't have words, jargon, terminology, definitions etc., to write out exactly what I'm trying to express.

13 hours ago, Rue said:

My cousin, was about 21 when he had a vasectomy.  "Why bring more children into this world, it's not going to last much longer with all that's going on!".  That was 1983.

It was in about 1964 that my geography teacher showed us a graph of global population over the last few hundred years and I thought "this can't go on". That's one conviction I'm proud to have stuck with to this day (I think). Relevant to the discussion? - of course not but thanks Rue for changing the subject!

Natural carrying capacity of the planet for humans is about 2 billion.

We're currently at 7 billion due to technology - starting essentially with Haber-Bosch during WW1(~1913), add penicillin (~1928), the Green Revolution (~1950s), etc. That is massive and unprecedented growth in a very short period of time.

Massive population bursts are naturally followed by population crashes. I don't think "we" would like that, but what are we doing about it? Increasing the level of hedonism?

So? Now what? We can probably manage a healthy artificial population if everyone would be responsible - but obviously "we" are not being responsible.

Got no answers...

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Natural carrying capacity of the planet for humans is about 2 billion.

We're currently at 7 billion due to technology - starting essentially with Haber-Bosch during WW1(~1913), add penicillin (~1928), the Green Revolution (~1950s), etc. That is massive and unprecedented growth in a very short period of time.

Massive population bursts are naturally followed by population crashes. I don't think "we" would like that, but what are we doing about it? Increasing the level of hedonism?

So? Now what? We can probably manage a healthy artificial population if everyone would be responsible - but obviously "we" are not being responsible.

Got no answers...

...Global cooling!

7 minutes ago, sospiri said:

How will heated underpants save us from extinction when the super volcano erupts, blocking sunlight and causing global cooling, crop failure, famine etc?

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, sospiri said:

...Global cooling!

One of the greatest scientists of the 20th century is a Brit by the name of Freeman Dyson who's been at Princeton since Einstein was there.  He is of the opinion that we will be able to engineer some global cooling to save ourselves and though he's not a climate scientist, everyone at Princeton admits he's the smartest dude in any room he enters.

I myself am quite concerned about global warming, but am heartened by his lack of worry.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2008/06/12/the-question-of-global-warming/

PS- the birth rate is declining

14 minutes ago, Stephen Fine said:

One of the greatest scientists of the 20th century is a Brit by the name of Freeman Dyson who's been at Princeton since Einstein was there.  He is of the opinion that we will be able to engineer some global cooling to save ourselves and though he's not a climate scientist, everyone at Princeton admits he's the smartest dude in any room he enters.

I myself am quite concerned about global warming, but am heartened by his lack of worry.

Certainly in my family! 

Engineering is one thing but does Dyson have a solution for the political problem - how to get all the developed and developing nations to pull together? Even the greatest scientists can make fools of themselves when in their latter years they stray outside their areas of expertise. I cite Francis Crick who thought he could discover the neurological substrate of human consciousness, apparently without realising that he was repeating the search for the soul

2 hours ago, matesic said:

Engineering is one thing but does Dyson have a solution for the political problem - how to get all the developed and developing nations to pull together?

You should read his article, it's been a number of years since I've reread it.

But, basically, he imagines the solution could be achieved without the whole world necessarily pulling together.

I think it's in that article where he offers the example of when in the late 19th Century people were convinced that the "experiment" of city-living was over.  It was too dangerous and disgusting because of the mass of horse waste from horse-drawn carriages.  Cities were over.

Or... not, since the automobile was unknowably about to replace horses.

We don't know what the future holds.  Perhaps, what we imagine as the problem will not end up being the problem at all.

We're quite off topic here, but it's a welcome diversion if you ask me.

In William Gibson's great murder mystery, The Peripheral, he imagines an apocalypse where all the stuff humans are afraid of at the moment (climate change, genetically engineered plagues, anti-biotic resistant bacteria, quantum computers manipulating currency/investment etc...) comes to pass at the same time as nano-technology and solar-powered technologies reach their zenith.  So, most humans on the planet die, but a shiny new society emerges on the other end of it.  In other words, maybe Dyson is right, but maybe human ingenuity will triumph just a little too late for most people.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:20 PM, VicM said:

It is not. I asked my wife who is a native English speaker born in the UK and the intend of that sentence is to reflect badly on the man who is so indiscriminate and obsessive he will chase a grand father clock dressed in a skirt.

I assume you don't live in the UK and your wife is a little out of touch with modern British social mores. But if you visit sometime, I think you'll find that most women, with a couple of neurones to rub together, consider that being called "a thing" is an objectification and highly insulting. As does most of the civilised world.

^Did you intend to insult vic's wife just then?  anything you can say will offend somebody, so the only reasonable way to think is no offense intended, none taken.  standing in the way of that simple solution is being offended is now a virtue.

23 hours ago, Rue said:

:rolleyes:

Even though you live much closer to Yellowstone than I do, I might still consider heated underpants if the seismologists detect bigger signals any time soon.

23 hours ago, Stephen Fine said:

2008061244img1.gif 

This graph and the explanation suggests to me that we should plant more Pernambuco trees.